Grain mill set ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radshoes

Reaction score
Gday!
I have been brewing for a while and have managed to go a while with out a large spend and as such have managed to convince my wife that a grain mill will be a suitable investment in our future.
I have been looking around and have noticed that the mills being sold are just a chunk of metal with a couple of rollers.
My wife is not very handy (neither am I) so probably we will have trouble constructing something to help make it more like it should let alone work out how to attach it!
Is there a how to do this for dummies or any suggestions on where to buy something that will still make the wife think this is a reasonable investment in our future?
She really does struggle with the whole concept of the more homebrew I drink the more we are saving money!

Um....there is not much to a mill but making one is another story. Your best bet is to find mates that have machining skills. The rollers are the hardest part simply because you will need access to a lath to make the properly. The frame can be made out of hardwood.The one I have have has only about 10 parts...all custom made

They are not something you can make from parts bought from bunnings etc.

Hmmm. Well if this is a serious question.........If you check the bulk buy forum there is a bulk buy on grain mills going at the moment which should bring them down to around $100 a pop which is not a bad price.

As for mounting them you only need to cut a slot out in a piece of ply and bolt it to that. You can add some stoppers underneath so it sits on top of a 20 litre pail.

Search grain mill build and I'm sure you will find a suitable setup for your needs.

Edit: did you mean making an actual grain mill or mounting it to some sort of stand? Unless your good with tools, which you've said your not, I wouldn't attempt to make one.

Buy a Marga mill. Simple.

Run it by hand, handle included. Might take an hour or whatever to mill a single batch of grain, dunno, never had to, I'm fair with tools. Also, wife can crack whatever funny grains she wants to for her miracle diets, whatever. Local kitchen place might stock one or look at craftbrewer, link at top of page.

thanksguys.
Trumanhadthe answer I waslooking for!
Iplanonbuying one and was looking for the ghetto size set up.
now I cantell my wife to buy me one for my birthday
yay

practicalfool said:
Buy a Marga mill. Simple.

Run it by hand, handle included. Might take an hour or whatever to mill a single batch of grain, dunno, never had to, I'm fair with tools. Also, wife can crack whatever funny grains she wants to for her miracle diets, whatever. Local kitchen place might stock one or look at craftbrewer, link at top of page.
An hour to hand mill a single batch.... stuff that.

Dont f*** about radshoes... do something right the first time, do it once.

I used my last birthday to get wifey, family and mates to chip in most of the funds that got me a nice MiniMill, fully powered and built. I'm certainly not handy with tools either, so it took me a bit of trial and error, but I got there in the end, and I'm really happy with the results.

My mill: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/album/1030-spiesys-mill/

Check out the 'ozito' thread too. That is what I based mine on, I found that thread very helpful. All you need is a mill, hopper, plastic bucket, ozito drill and a table of some sort (I got mine for $99 from bunnings but a few bits of ply will work just as well). I got a millmaster, as the second roller is geared. I'm not that handy either but I managed to put together quite a tidy mill setup.

Yea, I haven't used one but seen a couple of mates do. They seemed happy enough... Was hoping a Marga owner might chip in with real advice. Personally, I have a crankendstein hooked up to the ozito. Makes mulch of much with not muchly muchness.

Latest posts

Back