Grain Mill For Beer & Breakfast Cereals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy an electric stoneground grain mill for bread making, but would also like to mill grains for brewing and flaking for breakfast cereals.
I am aware that I require a roller mill for brewing beer.

1)

I could either buy an all in one electric stoneground mill with additional flaking option, but this product is very pricey at $948
http://www.skippygrainmills.com.au/electric/vario.htm

- I will have to double check that this product is able to handle grain milling for brewing. Does anyone know or had experience with this?

or

2)

buy an electric stoneground grain mill for breadmaking + a Marga Mill for brewing and flaking breakfast Cereals.

- I wanted to confirm whether the Marga Mill is capable of flaking breakfast cereals such as rolled oats and flaked wheat, Rye... etc etc???

- Also is it easy to mill and flake or does it take a fair bit of energy? (I don't have a lot of energy due to health)

- P.S. Do you need to prepare the grains before milling - such as soak or soften them when using the Marga Mill?
(I think you have to soak harder grains such as wheat before flaking with the All in one electric mill/flaker.)

Any other information or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Heaps.

I'd suggest a corona. I'm getting a roller mill, but keeping the corona for adjuncts. My Porkert is supposed to be a corn grinder. Unmalted grains are typically pretty full on to mill though. You could motorise one.

Just another vote for corona - way cheaper than what you're looking at. Not a roller mill but works for beer for me and will grind grain to flour if that's what you want. I got mine for $50 from ebay - local so postage was around $10.

I was under the impression that you needed a roller mill for brewing otherwise you get a flour consistency that just turns to mush and makes the beer very cloudy.
(sorry for any ignorance on the matter)

The possible added bonus of the roller mill would be the ability to make rolled oats or wheat flakes etc... if I am correct in thinking that it can do that.

Corona will simply crack grains or make flour or something in between - you adjust the gap for what you need. Plenty of brewers worldwide use them. Also known as victoria or Porkett mill.

Back