Grain mill BB once again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was waiting for me when I got home today. Stoked. Thanks again for organising the buy mate, really appreciate it.

Got it from KK today. Managed to drop 200$ there as well. Oh well, I knew walking into that joint would be dangerous. Fairly restrained really. Now the proud owner of various keg connectors, thermowell, refractometer and a bag of JW trad' ale. I'm sure there was something else but I've had a few jars tonight. Oh, plastic pluto (temporary) and a ball lock thingy with hose.

Now looking for a session SMA2H recipe (cant confine myself to 1 hop).

Mine arrived just before too. Nice and sturdy looking. Thanks aussie brewer for sorting this all out. LEGEND!!!

Got mine today also. What would you guys suggest cleaning it with? The rollers are a bit tacky. Seems pretty solid though, and easy enough to power with a drill.

Khellendros13 said:
Got mine today also. What would you guys suggest cleaning it with? The rollers are a bit tacky. Seems pretty solid though, and easy enough to power with a drill.
You have to pull it apart regularly for routine cleaning of grain dust so why not pull it apart and have a look. I pulled mine apart and wiped off all excess grease and then cleaning just using spray and wipe as I use it in my kitchen so must be safe. I then put it back together and ran about half a kilo of oats through it to pick up any loose bits. not sure if this is right but just that I did.

Hope it helps. Also all the Sydney people I have almost filled the pallet of grain of you don't want to miss out give me your order.

Used the mill today for the 1st time and it worked like a dream. Very happy with the purchase

Thought I had better say thanks as we finally got our mail yesterday and my mill was there. It looks good. Thanks for arranging.

Also if this helps anyone these are the screws I got from the hardware store which fit the thread for attaching the mill to a 2-3cm thick board.

Hardware store guys almost gave up trying to find a matching thread.

13743199695610.jpg

Also after cleaning would anyone recommend spraying with cooking oil to prevent rust? Or would something in the oil or propellant cause other issues?

phoenixdigital said:
Also if this helps anyone these are the screws I got from the hardware store which fit the thread for attaching the mill to a 2-3cm thick board.

Hardware store guys almost gave up trying to find a matching thread.

13743199695610.jpg

Also after cleaning would anyone recommend spraying with cooking oil to prevent rust? Or would something in the oil or propellant cause other issues?
I did read it somewhere about the cooking oil. It's kind of funny I was getting a few other items from KK this week and when speaking with Kee I asked about mill maintenance, about food grade lubricate for the rollers and degreasing it as well as the oil. He said that they have this mill in their store which has now don't 10-15 tonne of grain. Never to be maintained. He did say that regular cleaning would be good for it but obviously not critical lol.

Those of you who haven't mounted your grain mill - be careful it could pinch. Ummm. I meant to say that the leftover screw-bolt thingys that Ikea furniture is assembled with are a perfect match for the thread in the base of the mill. Let's face it! Who hasn't got a few of those buggers swimming around with the dead batteries and screwdrivers in the "man drawer". I had to cut 'em down and tidy up the threads a little but they were perfect and they have a broad head too, no need for washers.

Now FFS, if you don't have some spares - please don't attack the kids bunk beds until you have a suitable replacement.

Edit Grammar / bad words. Naughty.

aussie brewer said:
You have to pull it apart regularly for routine cleaning of grain dust so why not pull it apart and have a look. I pulled mine apart and wiped off all excess grease and then cleaning just using spray and wipe as I use it in my kitchen so must be safe. I then put it back together and ran about half a kilo of oats through it to pick up any loose bits. not sure if this is right but just that I did.

Hope it helps. Also all the Sydney people I have almost filled the pallet of grain of you don't want to miss out give me your order.
Cool, I just pulled it apart and cleaned off that grease...does not seem food safe. Put a little bit of keg lube between the rollers and ends.

Just did some unmalted wheat. Really gave my arm a workout. On the smallest setting the gap adjustment started rotating until it was wider. So I ended up grinding it coarse, then did a second round on the smallest setting and it did a good job. Doing it this way, the gap adjuster didn't move. Really happy with the grind.

Been meaning to post about this mill. We did a double and a single batch on the weekend just gone. I milled at the smallest gap settings.

Our efficiency went through the roof. We ended up having to top up with a substantial amount of water to get the OG we wanted.

Next step is to work out how to measure efficiency correctly so we can adjust our recipes to our new method.

Great mill thanks for organising the bulk buy.

Glade to hear that everyone is enjoying their mills. I went and got a feeler gauge and set mine to 0.038 of an inch all seems to be doing good. Just got my bill malt so now I'm really getting ramped up.

Latest posts

Back