Grain Bulk Buy Tassie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Due to time constraints I wont be finishing this buy, someone else can take over if they want. I'm more than happy to act as a distribution warehouse if its easier though.

Cheers,
Paul

DanteHicks said:
Hi All,

I have punched this in to a spreadsheet and come up with totals for everyone. This does not include shipping, we will need to speak to Paul about that. The below link is to a share with the file.

http://sdrv.ms/Kn2N2C

Can everyone please check their own part and make sure I have not made any mistakes? Anything in red was an assumption, either I didnt have the info or the code was wrong, can you please double check these parts?

Cheers,

Scott
The codes for my order are all good, thanks.

Is this bulk order still going ahead?

Ok, so what do we need to do to get this buy back on track. As anybody had experience with the process if we still use Paul's place as the distribution site?

cheers
Taz

Extremely short notice again but the Esk Beerfest brewing competition is still on this year. Not enough time to brew for it, but if you have something your proud of bring a bottle (at least 500ml or equivelant bottle sizes) to the Morrison Brewery stall at the event on Friday, winners announced at Beerfest on Saturday.
The prize will be the same as last year, your winning beer will be brewed at Morrison Brewery and available on tap at The Irish, Launceston.
All entries MUST be all grain.

Hi All,

I have been in contact with Paul and have enquired as to the process for future BB's. Paul has been very generous and he is happy to facilitate but will not actively participate, which includes organising splits etc.

If everyone is happy, I would like to finish the organising of this BB and see how it goes.

My idea for this BB is organise the remaining order (tidy up the spreadsheet and fill up the hops), organise the coin (I can't afford $2500 straight up!), place the order and hey presto…..

I work fly in/fly out and will be away in a weeks time for 5 weeks. I still have internet access and will organise from afar. We can nominate a date for deposit of funds and I will place the order with Paul in about 4-5 weeks and transfer the money to him at the same time. I will obviously let everyone know when the order is placed and ETA to Launceston. I am the same as Paul and won't organise any splits etc, they should be organised off the sheet.

The order date does not have to be 4-5 weeks, can be longer, but not shorter. 4-5 weeks allows me to place the order with Paul while I am still at work and it should arrive shortly after I get home, that way I can pick up all the grain for NW people in one hit. If we can organise an ad-hoc distributor for the South so Paul is not stuck with our grain…...

I am offering to organise this BB (and possible future BB's) and I do not wish to make money etc from you people. I will open a new bank account to handle the money etc and would like to have the money in that account one day and then onto Paul the next (if we can organise this that seamlessly).

Open for everyones thoughts and discussions. PM me if you would like to speak privately.

Thanks Hugh for offering to step in and take over the BB. The timing of 4 - 5 weeks is fine by me. I think the idea to set up a separate bank account and only put the order in when the money is accounted for is the only way to proceed. Scott's spreadsheet is an excellent tool for monitoring the operation.
The only suggestion I would make is that you may have to price in a bank account charge of a few percent to cover the account costs. Most have a monthly charge of some description and it would be wise to factor this in now, rather than be caught short down the track.
Cheers,
Paddy

Good work Hugh Jarse. 4-5 weeks is fine by me. I was thinking along the same lines as you, but thought that seeing as the distribution point was in Launnie, maybe one of the Launnie guys would put there hand up to take it on.
Its great that Paul is still letting us use his facility, but I think we need to help him out as well if we are going to continue to be able to have bulk buys. I agree he doesnt need our grain sitting around his building, so we need to make a concerted effort to get it out on time. I am happy to help with the NW side of the distibution as well. The only hard thing about splits is quite often the split between brewers from different parts of the state, and often (most of the time) people would rock up without bags. Moving ahead, splits might best be done between brewers from the same area.
Cheers
LB

Thanks Hugh for picking this up. I would assume the freight is based on 40 bags of grain. So you would need to add some for freight on the hops otherwise you will finish up short.

cheers

Ian

I agree with all of the above.

I'm also happy to help out with deliveries to the south. I visit Launceston once a month for work, and can carry a few bags in the back of the Subaru Forrester.

I usually head to Launceston around the third week of the month, but that can be worked out when we get an order underway.

Thanks Hugh for taking the reins on the organisation. Very happy to pay into an account for you to forward on to Paul.

I'll have to visit the LHBS to get some grain and hops to keep me brewing until the bulk buy comes through.

Thanks again Hugh and everyone who are keen to keep this going, and Paul for his assistance too.

Thanks for the support so far people.

Have created an account with no monthly fees etc so all good there. Will PM involved people with details closer to the order date. For the next BB, even if I dont organise, I will provide the account and transfer money as/when requested if the organiser would like.

ianh, you are absolutely right about the freight. It is charged per pallet so is divided up to 40 bags of grain. Drop one bag off for 25kgs of hops or 2 off for 50kgs of hops.... you get the picture. Will factor that into the final price. Perhaps divide the freight of one bag and factor into hop freight price. Will get in touch with DanteHicks about the spreadsheet.

BrewRick, I will give all as much notice as possible so people from South could organise pickup. Perhaps if there is any left at Pauls when you come up you could take it off his hands...... Really dont want Paul stuffed around with grain and hops that arent his. Will need some organising closer to the date.

LB, I can hand the reins over to a Launceston based member at any point if it will make it easier for distribution. I will certainly support Paul and his brewery by buying some beer when I get up there. Splits will need to be organised between members as to who will get the bag and split, transport etc. Will make things interesting with splits from one end of the state to the other..... if there are any bags or hops left over at Pauls and he needs it gone, I will go through and pick it up. Just means that it then has to be picked up from Latrobe. I am usually up for an excuse to go to Drummond Golf in Launceston so I dont mind that much.

Great job Hugh
Just let me know the details when ready and I will pay up. I might be able to help with moving the supplies when the time comes. I'm at Eugenana, so not far from you.

Cheers
Shane

I (or a colleague) am in Launceston fortnightly on Thursdays if that helps the southerners. We are there in a truck so usually have room for a bag or 10.

Thanks for stepping up BrewRick and hyjack71, nice work to cover the South.

Do we have some one in Launceston to put up their hand if any grain is left at Paul's after a week or so to go along and pick it up?

I think we all dont want Paul stuffed around and if we can get the grain out as quick as possible, then the better for him.

I'm in Lilydale (30 min north) but work in Launceston. Am happy to grab any leftovers and bring into work for people to collect.

Thanks Kudzu.

Seems we have the logistics sorted, now we can finalise the order and should be sweet.

Those involved in splits, please talk amongst yourselves and sort out what you would like to do.

Can people please indicate if they still want in on this BB as per DanteHicks spread sheet and the codes on the spreadsheet?

We have room left for 20kg of hops. No more bags as we have topped off for hops.

Seeing as transport/collection can be arranged to all parts of the state, I can order ahead of the 4 weeks and get this BB moving a lot earlier?

Cheers,
HJ.

Still in - would like to add

1kg Northern Brewer HNTB1 $21
1kg Fuggles HUKF1 $29

and also if I may change the bag of Joe White Munich to Best Vienna 1620 $35

many thanks

Ian

All done for my running sheets ianh.

We have a flat fee for freight and hops need to factored in.

I will wait until we finalise an order, calculate the amount of hops we have and divide up by the freight price for 2 bags of grain…...

Will add total under new hop freight for each persons order. Will be dependant on the amount of hops that you have ordered. At the moment, we have 31kgs of hops at 45c freight per hop.

Any ideas on a cut off date for finalising our orders? I am back at work on the 21st Jan and first couple of days are flat out shit busy so I won't do much then.

edit: re-worded last question.

Latest posts

Back