Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GABBA110360 said:
pm with Matt the other day and I think i'll throw a couple in and see what happens .
don't know really with the dark/ pale parameters for colour but too bad they like um or they wont.
porter and pale ale.
i'm a bit reluctant in parting with 2 tallies of porter :D
cheers
ken
Good to see you will be entering a few Ken.

As an entrant you will also be welcome to attend the judging, and I know the guys last year had an enjoyable time.

We are happy to announce that HPA (Hop Products Australia) are once again a supporter of the Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition.

There will also be some HPA hops given away to some of those fortunate enough to have their beers place in the comp.

HPA grow hops in Victoria & Tasmania, and have been doing so for more than one hundred and fifty years. They are passionate about beer (and hops!), and they handle around 90% of the hops grown in Australia, about 1% of the world’s production!

In the previous years comp, we received several entries from a brewer living just a few minutes down the road from a HPA hop farm in Tasmania, and have heard on the 'hop bine' that perhaps there will be more entrants from the island state in 2015.

10923264_1613288905556288_7411528785555535740_n.jpg

Id like to give this comp a go, any details on entry etc? never done this comp before.

It's more of an Ag show type comp, not BJCP, but well supported and a great crowd there on the night. It's also a good flagship exercise for home brew in a regional area.

And you'll meet a few AHB members as well, I can guarantee. Usually stay at Roche's family hotel (dead cheap) so no need to drive while you are there. It's also a cheap lob down the tracks from Coffs by train, I usually train from Taree and try not to be too pissed when I arrive.

Woke up the next day: "good morning and where the fck am I?" so it must have been ok. :lol:

Brew Matt will fill you in on entry details.

Dae Tripper said:
Oh and what size bottle is needed for a Mead entry?
Hi Tripper,

Haven't had any mead entries over the last several years, but with Mead being class 9, the below information applies to this.

Classes 9 to 12 require two bottles of the same brew to be submitted at room temperature (ie. two bottles for each entry). A label on one of the bottles is invited but not mandatory (for display purposes), with the other bottle having no label (for judging). Bottle capacity should be ‘longneck’ sized (approx. 640ml each). ‘Longneck’ bottles are preferred, but where these are unable to be used, then multiple smaller bottles may be submitted. Bottles larger than ‘longneck’ size are accepted should this suit entrant.

Hoping to have a few mead entries in this years competition.

Cheers
Matt

Bribie G said:
It's more of an Ag show type comp, not BJCP, but well supported and a great crowd there on the night. It's also a good flagship exercise for home brew in a regional area.

And you'll meet a few AHB members as well, I can guarantee. Usually stay at Roche's family hotel (dead cheap) so no need to drive while you are there. It's also a cheap lob down the tracks from Coffs by train, I usually train from Taree and try not to be too pissed when I arrive.

Woke up the next day: "good morning and where the fck am I?" so it must have been ok. :lol:

Brew Matt will fill you in on entry details.
Won't take much to make it a BJCP judging event, and when we train up a few local BJCP judges will be good to go.

The scoring sheet is very similar to what other BJCP events use.

Brew Matt said:
Won't take much to make it a BJCP judging event, and when we train up a few local BJCP judges will be good to go.

The scoring sheet is very similar to what other BJCP events use.
I had some trouble fillling out those score sheets last year, especially after the eleventeenth beer.

Give me a yell if you need a hand Matt.

For those that want to attend and are staying the night, let me know in advance so I can reserve some rooms at Roches Hotel. If you want to camp and swag it, you can stay at the show ground for a few $$ a night

www.roches.com.au

Good News Everyone.....

For the first time ever, it will be possible to drop your 'Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition' entries into Coffs Harbour (NSW), or one of six drop off points in the greater Brisbane area (QLD).

Last year we received a record number of entries from outlying areas, so this will make it easier for those living closer to one of these locations.

Very special thanks to Country Brewer Toormina, as well as The Brewers Choice Stores of Kedron, Enoggera, Wacol, Chapel Hill, Ipswich, and Browns Plains.

Please remember these are busy stores, so have your bottles ready (as per the schedule), and your paperwork completely filled out. Have your bottles tagged (using something that can be removed when received at the competition - eg removable tag, etc)

Feel free to stock up with brewing supplies while you are in store!

If you are not sure about anything, contact the steward (found in the programme) before going to the store.

Happy brewing (or should that now be happy fermenting.........)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drop Off Points are as follows (with cut off dates):

The Country Brewer Toormina
Shop 8, The Links Centre
1-3 Hi-Tech Drive
Toormina NSW 2452
(02) 6658 8397
[Cut Off for Toormina is close of business Tuesday 21st of April 2015]

----------

Brewers Choice Browns Plains
Cnr Browns Plains and Beaudesert Rds,
Browns Plains QLD 4118
(Opposite Fasta Pasta)
07 3800 9633
[Cut Off for Browns Plains & all QLD stores is close of business Tuesday 14th of April 2015]

----------

Brewers Choice Chapel Hill
1 Moordale St,
Chapel Hill QLD 4069
07 3878 4198
[Cut Off for Chapel Hill & all QLD stores is close of business Tuesday 14th of April 2015]

----------

Brewers Choice Enoggera
394 Samford Rd,
Enoggera QLD 4051
(Opposite Gaythorne Railway Station)
07 3855 8800
[Cut Off for Enoggera & all QLD stores is close of business Tuesday 14th of April 2015]

----------

Brewers Choice Kedron
325 Gympie Rd,
Kedron QLD 4031
(Between the Ellaways Music stores)
07 3350 1411
[Cut Off for Kedron & all QLD stores is close of business Tuesday 14th of April 2015]

----------

Brewers Choice Wacol
Unit 1, 1236 Boundary Rd,
Wacol QLD 4076
(Next to BP Servo)
07 3271 1373
[Cut Off for Wacol & all QLD stores is close of business Tuesday 14th of April 2015]

----------

Brewers Choice Ipswich
246 Warwick Rd,
Churchill QLD 4305
07 3281 0205
[Cut Off for Ipswich & all QLD stores is close of business Tuesday 14th of April 2015]

Ducatiboy stu said:
I had some trouble fillling out those score sheets last year, especially after the eleventeenth beer.

Give me a yell if you need a hand Matt.
You will be put to use somewhere at the judging Stu.

Book me in for Fri and Sat, Stu, love that place. Maybe this time I can find the male bathroom.

I'm heading up to coffs on Friday night, leaving for brisbane early saturday. Is the drop off open Saturday morning?
Never done a comp and I missed newy show

I've got quite a few entries this year (not just beer)
I intend on hanging onto my championship prize ;)

Latest posts

Back