Gradual Cold Crashing To reduce/stop suck back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axematt

Reaction score
Gday All.

As the title suggests I'm wondering what the folk on this forum think of this theory. I have looked on this and other forums but found no chat about it.
The reason I ask is that I am currently slowly dropping a lager to 1 degree, It's been 6 days already and it started at 20 degrees ( D-rest) and it's at 6 degrees now. I drew a line in my jar of starsan that the blow off tube sits in and it looks like that no liquid has left the jar.
Interested in any thoughts as to weather the gradual drop has anything to do with no suck back into the fermenter.
New to brewing so I could be missing something.

Cheers

When I do it and by the way this has only been for 5 brews, I have a piece of beer hose and it has no disconnect on it, I have a double manifold on my gas line which is outside the Keezer, I just give the fermenter a shot of C02 through the airlock hole and put it in the fridge and straight down to 2 degrees. So far all good

It's a mangrove jack stainless steel fermenter with 4 pull down clips to keep the lid tight as the proverbial and the bung is well and truly jammed in so I would be very surprised if it leaks but obviously cant be 100% sure. It was bubbling like a ******* during fermentation.

Given that the sick back is caused by contraction of the wort which causes a reduction in pressure, the only way even show temp reduction would avoid this is by having an air leak somewhere that offsets this slowly enough that you don't get noticeable amounts of liquid being pulled back.

Latest posts

Back