Gotta Love This Fresh Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpa

Reaction score
My yeast only arrived yesterday. Smacked the pack at 6:30pm. I put down a 40l ESB. I was going pitch half onto a Ringwood yeast cake and use the new wy1275 for the other half without a starter. Decided not to use the Ringwood as it was a bit funky. After brew was in the fermenters I drew off 1L and pitched the 1275 (fully puffed up) into the starter at 11:30. Starter had a 1.5cm krausen at 8am this morning, ready to pitch.

Back when I started to use wyeast a few years ago it would have taken 3-4 days to get to where it could be pitched. I once waited 5 days for a wy1728 to puff up.

Thanks to the retailers who are now getting this stuff to us so fresh. There are a few now. It makes a big difference.

Cheers
Andrew.

I've had issues with smack packs. The first 1768 I got back in December was so puffy when it arrived that I couldn't find the widget so poured it into the wort without widget, fished out the widget, washed it well and stabbed it with a sterile knife and poured that into the wort. The second 1768 a couple of weeks ago was nice and flat but proved unsmackable and I did the same thing. The widget was a tough little plastic pouch (like you sometimes get shampoo portions in at motels) and again I had to do the knife thing. It's fermented out ok. My first 1469 gave a rocky cauliflower head and made a great Yorkie. My second one in January didn't puff up too well but I pitched it anyway, it dribbled out of the pouch looking like coffee grounds and the brew formed a half hearted brown head which I roused every day for a week and it got there eventually. It actually made a nice beer but I didn't get that 'popcorn' head in secondary like I did with the first one. I have a Ringwood now, nice and flat and I can feel the widget. Smoother run this time hopefully.

The point I'm making is that, from my own experience, WYeasts are a bit inconsistent and apart from the odd try out like the Ringwood I'm back to good old Notto, US-05, w 34/70 etc for ease of use and reliability. I wouldn't mind trying whitelabs however but don't have access to it here on Bribie and reluctant to order interstate due to possible heat issues in transit.

I've had issues with smack packs. The first 1768 I got back in December was so puffy when it arrived that I couldn't find the widget so poured it into the wort without widget, fished out the widget, washed it well and stabbed it with a sterile knife and poured that into the wort. The second 1768 a couple of weeks ago was nice and flat but proved unsmackable and I did the same thing. The widget was a tough little plastic pouch (like you sometimes get shampoo portions in at motels) and again I had to do the knife thing. It's fermented out ok. My first 1469 gave a rocky cauliflower head and made a great Yorkie. My second one in January didn't puff up too well but I pitched it anyway, it dribbled out of the pouch looking like coffee grounds and the brew formed a half hearted brown head which I roused every day for a week and it got there eventually. It actually made a nice beer but I didn't get that 'popcorn' head in secondary like I did with the first one. I have a Ringwood now, nice and flat and I can feel the widget. Smoother run this time hopefully.

The point I'm making is that, from my own experience, WYeasts are a bit inconsistent and apart from the odd try out like the Ringwood I'm back to good old Notto, US-05, w 34/70 etc for ease of use and reliability. I wouldn't mind trying whitelabs however but don't have access to it here on Bribie and reluctant to order interstate due to possible heat issues in transit.

Hi Bribie,

Ive had nothing but good experiences lately. Ive used 8 or so different wyeasts in the last year or so and havent had the issues you have had. The worst Ive had is I didnt think the wiget had popped so I kept smacking and ruptured the outer packet :huh: . I now just give it one smack and leave it at that. Ive learnt that it just feels like the wiget hasnt popped when it really has. All have puffed up in a few hours.

White labs are good but I havent been able to find a source where i can get them really fresh so I have had mixed results. My last batch I pitched a wlp burton 4 months from manufacture date and it didnt start. Waited 4 days. Pulled a wy ringwood out of the fridge and it was ready to pitch overnight and the airlock was bubbling that evening (expensive batch that was). I know I should have made a starter with the burton but didnt bother because it was a low gravity 1.036 mild

cheers
andrew.

Yeah it's good. A wy3068 I smacked recently was 4 months old, swelled tight within 3hrs. I drew 1L off preboil, boiled it 15min, cooled it then pitched the yeast into it and it had 1-2cm of krausen by the time the whole batch was chilled and ready to pitch. Airlock was bubbling within a couple hours of pitching B)

Bribie,
Sometimes the nutrient packet leaks -> swollen pack.
You can add yeast nutrient (Wyeast & Whitelabs make it) to the boil as an alternative to buggerising about with the pouch that won't bust.
Suggest you make starters (nutrient added)

Rgds,
Peter

Hi Bribie,

White labs are good but I havent been able to find a source where i can get them really fresh so I have had mixed results. My last batch I pitched a wlp burton 4 months from manufacture date and it didnt start. Waited 4 days. Pulled a wy ringwood out of the fridge and it was ready to pitch overnight and the airlock was bubbling that evening (expensive batch that was). I know I should have made a starter with the burton but didnt bother because it was a low gravity 1.036 mild

cheers
andrew.

Andrew,
4 months after the manufacture date = Best Before Date.
Remember they have been shipped across the Pacific.
Yes, you should have made a starter.

Rgds,
Peter

I just ordered my first liquid yeast from Grain and Grape (wyeast trappist).

Do the packs come with instructions?

Andrew,
4 months after the manufacture date = Best Before Date.
Remember they have been shipped across the Pacific.
Yes, you should have made a starter.

Rgds,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I guess thats what I was getting at. I can now get fresh yeast where I dont need to make a starter for normal or less gravity wort. And Im happy about that. Starters are a PITA.

cheers
Andrew.

I just ordered my first liquid yeast from Grain and Grape (wyeast trappist).

Do the packs come with instructions?

Instructions on the pack. If you are going to do a high gravity belgian (1.050+) you will need to make a starter. You should find instructions here on the site using search.

Cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back