Got To Make Beer For Work Xmas Party

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, light pale lager, midish bitterness.

Exactly want i meant, + a recipe!

With people w/ an untrained palate, familiar falvours = good beer. Make them a Porter or a IIPA and you're unlikly to please the crowd, just a small minority.

If you want to show you're skills AND keep people happy, make 2 beers :D

You can always do a lager w/ the california lager strain (ferments well up to 20deg)

The Wyeast Boho pils strain @ ale temps is supposed to work ok for a fruity 'ale' profile (according to the wyeast website)

Thinking slightly outside the square....

A Kolsch.

Its the only beer i have made that my partner will pour herself a pint of, the rest she finds too bitter.

Her beer of choice is pure blonde - sigh.

The one i have on tap is 90% pils, 8% wheat, 2% melanoidin. tettnag to 25 IBU. Used the alt yeast (WY1007)

EDIT - screwys pale lager looks the goods.

The OP mentioned that there was no time for a lager.

So something fermented out with US05 would likely be the go.

I second the suggestion to add some dextrose to keep it nice and thin (about 200-250g), but would drop the carapils as to me it would seem counter-productive to have both in there, particularly if you're throwing in the wheat malt anyways.

A good dose of light crystal (400-500g) would help to create some interest and give you a bit of play-room with the hopping, which you could get up to the high 20s.

Mmmmm.....getting thirsty.....

Tony's LCBA would be my pick.

[post="0"]http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=301[/post]

I used to take a few brews of mine into work on fridays for tasting. I took in stouts, Chimay blue copies (this went down with those that know beer), Aussie Ales, full on APA's, german dunkels and so on and the one that sat well with most and got the biggest 'wow this is really good' factor was the LCBA clone. I brought one of them in on my last day there and copped abuse that I hadn't brought enough of them in, or often enough...
I did it with Amarillo and D-saaz from memory rather than cascade and Bsaaz but the D might have been the B...either way it would work well.

In keeping with a scaled down theme and the fact that HR has been hassled numerous times as to whether I would make some beer for the end of year BBQ- I've said yes :blink: . So now what to brew for for non-homebrewing mega swillers (not that theres anything wrong with it)
keeping in mind theres no time for a pils or lager so roughly I was thinking

Mike,

make sure there is no flavour or they may complain ,

it has to be pale too dark they wont drink it

Not cloudy thats a No No !

Give it an Aussie name they will like that .

Have you any boxing kangaroo stickers for the glasses .

Dont take it in bottles with yeast in the bottom ,else they may get a shock when they find the beer you gave them was growing on something .

Oh yeah Mike dont dont make too strong ,as if they drink too much and have an accident on the way home ,you may be implicated in the compo claim .

Hope this helps . :eek:

Merry Xmas Party

Pumpy :)

Another vote for Smurto's GA.
Got one on tap ATM, and it is just too easy to drink (esp. in the warm weather).
Go easy on the dry-hop for the megaswillers though - it's got enough good Amarillo flava already.

Pumpys advice is perfect... It is the way the beer is presented.

It was only last week I was speaking to another brewer who kegs and most of his friends love his beer due to way its presented.

I think go the golden ale/blond ale route. Something light gold in colour, not huge malt flavours for this time of year, maybe some wheat to freshen it up, a touch of crystal for colour. Low 20s for bitterness. Knock out hop lightly with something fruity, say NS or a C hop. Just enough for people to notice, but not too much to frighten them. :rolleyes: Ferment with something clean. 1272 might be better than US-05 just because it drops out quickly.

Plain old Aussie lager,most of these guys would not like LCPA,JS golden or anything else.
They want something like they nomally drink.Believe me I've been there done that

Thanks for all the feedback, at least 80% of the workers are in the megaswill category and I know pretty much what their tastes are and they will be getting the low flavour, adjunct, dry type beer, I will share my carefully crafted and largered Vienna lager with the rest, I used to have a beer apreciation session once a month at work when I first started brewing so I know there are a few lovers of good beer here.

...and Batz I am getting compensated for the ingredients plus its great brownie points...how can they complain about me looking at AHB at work after this!

Hi Mike,

i agree with a lot of the comments but would avoid the more flavoursome hops like nelson sauvin, stick to subtler hops. make it fairly light around 25 IBU.

Golden ales/ blondes aren't a bad choice, however the fruitiness from amarillo/cascade may put some off.

FWIW, I make an quaffing ale which is 87% ale/pils malt with 11% wheat & 2% crystal to give you wort at about 1.045. Hop with a clean bittering hop eg NBrewer or Bsaaz to about 20 ibu then use hallertaurer / hersbrucker / pacific hall at 20 & 10 mins to raise the IBU's by 5. fermernt with US05 or 1272 like stu suggests.

You've tried this at my place before - it could even be my xmas case entry :beer:

This was based on Doc's easy drinking Ale. I have made it many times for VB drinkers and they love it. Its the hop combination that really makes it a winner.

APA
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/09/2008
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 30.64 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg - Ale
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5000.00 gm Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.91 %
500.00 gm Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
20.00 gm Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.16 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 32.6 IBU Calories: 489 cal/l
Est Color: 17.4 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 5500.00 gm
Sparge Water: 14.15 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.00 L of water at 73.7 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.00 L of water at 94.1 C 76.0 C

Tony's LCBA would be my pick.

[post="0"]http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=301[/post]

I used to take a few brews of mine into work on fridays for tasting. I took in stouts, Chimay blue copies (this went down with those that know beer), Aussie Ales, full on APA's, german dunkels and so on and the one that sat well with most and got the biggest 'wow this is really good' factor was the LCBA clone. I brought one of them in on my last day there and copped abuse that I hadn't brought enough of them in, or often enough...
I did it with Amarillo and D-saaz from memory rather than cascade and Bsaaz but the D might have been the B...either way it would work well.

+ 1 Tony's LCBA
Every friday I take a selection my beers into work, Tony's LCBA has pulled the most votes from my megaswill work collegues.

A big winner in my opinion is the Coopers Pale Ale Clone. Grab AndrewQLD's recipe from the recipe database.

Simple and yummy.

JS

A big winner in my opinion is the Coopers Pale Ale Clone. Grab AndrewQLD's recipe from the recipe database.

Simple and yummy.

JS
Ah yes, another great suggestion - This one must be made with the recultured coopers yeast.
(note to self - must make another one of these for the coming months!).

If you were serving it to a crowd of non craft beer drinkers, and not wanting to convert any of them (playing safe so to speak) I'd go for Batz's Farkin Ale recipe he posted the other day or a recipe similar to crozdog posted earlier of around %90 Ale/Pils, 5% wheat and 5% crystal and bitter to 20 IBU with POR (I think Tony's Aussie Ale is similar).

On the other hand if you are trying to broaden the minds and tastes of your colleagues, I'd go for a bright ale clone or a golden ale as mentioned earlier by plenty, but be preparted for the "It's a bit to spicy (read hoppy) for my taste" or "It still has that homebrew taste (read flavour)"

If you were serving it to a crowd of non craft beer drinkers, and not wanting to convert any of them (playing safe so to speak) I'd go for Batz's Farkin Ale recipe he posted the other day or a recipe similar to crozdog posted earlier of around %90 Ale/Pils, 5% wheat and 5% crystal and bitter to 20 IBU with POR (I think Tony's Aussie Ale is similar).

On the other hand if you are trying to broaden the minds and tastes of your colleagues, I'd go for a bright ale clone or a golden ale as mentioned earlier by plenty, but be preparted for the "It's a bit to spicy (read hoppy) for my taste" or "It still has that homebrew taste (read flavour)"

No suckin up to Batz ,Crozdog or Tony , Schooey its not becoming of you ;)

Pumpy :)

Latest posts

Back