Best way to make a dryer pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sponge said:
No, it read right Mark.. I think you may have just been scared to admit it? :lol:

I think I'll have to try the 55'C rest though. I've always done a rest at 72, but haven't tried the 55 as of yet. Might have to try it with my brew tomorrow.
Give it a try mate. I need a stockpot on the stove anyway, so I just fill up another one for the extra step. I'm sure if I was organised and took enough notes I could just get away with my big stockpot, but it's easier and less thinking to just use 2. I always aim for 57. Dunno why, but I did see somewhere that in the high 50's some sugars can be converted as well as protein degradation. Best of both worlds I spose.

Because I only do 10 mins, and because I only step from 57ish to 62ish the first step only requires 3 litres boiling water or so. After 45 mins at 62ish I find I need anywhere from 5-8 litres of boiling water to hit 72ish. This is for a finished 20 litre batch ( cube ) for reference.

I've got my ghetto HERMS setup at the moment so shouldn't be too difficult. I'll just mash in at 55 instead of the usual 60's and let it ramp from there. Won't try it on the 30min mash/boil brew this evening so will give it a run on the brew tomorrow.

So are you saying that a 10 minute rest at 55 will have the same effect as the carapils that I use just for the head retention?

Also I don't tend use yeast nutrient in beer (I do in cider) but I could try it?

I think I have decided to go for 3.5 premium pils+ .3 carapils + .5 of dextrose. I will also add in a 10 minute rest at 55 to see how that goes.

Thanks for the help guys

5 min rest at 55, 10 min rest at 72 should give you all the head retention you could dream of. No need for carapils if doing that.

Thanks manticle I will give that ago.

Does the fact that I can only ramp at 1.3 degrees a minute change the 5min rest at 55?

Thanks again

JJJ

Not really. If concerned, start ramping at 3 mins but should be fine. My ramping rate probably isn't a lot more.

Ok update. I decided to do two brews.

No.1 Ace mid
3.3kg ok prem pils + .5 carapils
Mashed for 5 @ 55 then 30 @ 62 then 30 @ 64 then 10@72 then 78
12g Sorachi ace @ 70
15g Sorachi ace @ 15
Long story short this was my first brew on my new braumiser ( my attempt anywAy) not enough water so I only got 19ish litres was planning on 23 so my og was 1042 not 1037 like I had planned. :(.

No.2 lemon lager
4.0 premium pils + .25 carapils + .5 flaked rice
Mashed for 5 @55 then 60 @ 62.5 then 10@72 then 78
Southern cross 12 @ 70
Southern cross 12 @ 15
Southern cross 12 @ 5
Got my shit together for this one so got og of 1045

Both will be getting some s189 when they get down to temp.

Both tasted and smelt pretty good lest hope they go ok.

Will update you guys on results!

Making a dry lager is dead easy without using sugar or a step mash. You can if you want, the advice given so far has been mostly sound. Manticle is on the ball as usual.

Select a good lager malt. Wey Pils is always a good favourite. Mine is BB Galaxy, a superb lager malt that attenuates very well - it produces a lot of simple sugars and used with an attenutaive yeast is great, Wyeast Danish is my favourite and will produce a great lager beer. No need for any Carapils. Galaxy for example, is good enough at 100%. Chuck in a small handful of dark crystal for colour maybe. Mash down at 63C for 90 mins and boil for 1 hour minimum. Then the fun starts, temperature management during fermentation is critical. If you can trawl through archives and find all my posts on lager brewing, it's all there.

Good luck and good brewing

Latest posts

Back