Faux Lager recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently Greensborough HB do too. Tragically they're shut until next Tuesday :-/ but I won't need it for another week or 3 anyway. I'll just have to remember to call next week to check they've got it in stock...
Otherwise it's 2124 from FullPint!!

Dicko (et al), could you say which out of the S189 or the 2124 (or wlp810) would give the better "lager-like" clean crisp finish, fermented at say 16-18*C? (& maybe a brief lager period).
I'm only wondering as many brewers seemed convinced liquids always give better results.

Maybe if we ask nicely, some of the other homebrew shops who already stock fermentis yeasts might condsider adding s-189 Swiss lager dry yeast to thier range.

If there seems to be a genuine demand for it I think this could be good for all involved.

I do prefer buying dry yeasts in the companies genuine packaging rather than a 1/40 share of a 500g brick.

technobabble66 said:
Apparently Greensborough HB do too. Tragically they're shut until next Tuesday :-/ but I won't need it for another week or 3 anyway. I'll just have to remember to call next week to check they've got it in stock...
Otherwise it's 2124 from FullPint!!
Dicko (et al), could you say which out of the S189 or the 2124 (or wlp810) would give the better "lager-like" clean crisp finish, fermented at say 16-18*C? (& maybe a brief lager period).
I'm only wondering as many brewers seemed convinced liquids always give better results.
Without checking the spec I believe the San Fran yeast does not attenuate as far as the S189 but that brings me to another point, be it off topic as well.
I use the San Fran to brew a mid strength beer for the masses. It turns out great, for the masses that is very close to xxxx gold. It drops as clean as a whistle, it makes a very clear beer.
I always ferment it around 18 to 19 as well.

Update on my notto faux 10 days fermenting @ 14c down from 1050 to 1009 -1010
Took out of fridge sitting outside now for 2 days and then will cc
Excited about the taste out of fermentor could be a ripper
The kolsch is 1050 to 1010 - 1011 cranked fridge up to 16c & will slowly rise to 18c over 4 days then see if it attenuated more & cc
Taste great allso very similar

FWIW, for those looking for S-189, Greensborough Home Brewing have it in stock apparently. Hopefully i'll pick up some this week.

For the record, my big grolsch of faux lager was forgotten in the loading for the big weekend :-/ so no update for the time being on that front.

@rude - looking forward to hearing how the 2 brews compare!

no worries tech the notto is ccing took over the missus fridge all be it an outside one but still getting a few strange looks from her
the kolsch I am ramping up still @ 18c now 1 more day & the wife gets fridge back again then off outside to the kolsch fridge to cc
Wont leave the notto ccing too long in the process of getting kegging just bought a freezer so will prob bottle the notto
Hopefully will have a keg ready for the kolsch though
I feel my process in brewing is getting a bit better from what I know excited about the outcome of these 2 brews
will keep you posted cheers rude

technobabble66 said:
Les, did you mean W2124?
Has anyone used either this or WLP810 (San Fran lager) at high temps?

No issue w OT, mants. I'm also keen to hear more about people's isoamyl acetate experience - seems kinda on topic to me.
Yep W2124. My brain is not dyslexic, just my fingers.

Just don't use W2278 and let the temp get too high. Pineapple lager. It settled down after a few years, but the beer was oxidised by then. :unsure:

Have been drinking my notto yeast pils malt with a touch of wheat malt with
pearl hops 8% AA 15g 60 min 10g cubed 17.4 IBUs mashed at 64c
While sparging got stuck so re-stirred ended up with 1058-1059 what the ?
Added 4 Litres of water got 1050 fermented 10days @ 14c 1 day outside fridge at higher temp cced 1009
Bulked primed with 180g dextrose ended up 5.4% Alch whoops
Well pretty clean but unbalanced & too strong for a quaffer there is a flavour there that I cant describe pkt yeast , hops ,not sure
been in the bottle since the 4th Nov 3 pints of this & I have had enough definately no bannana Thecno
!st time with notto lowest finishing beer I have done usually mash apa'a at 67c finishing 1010-1012
Will be keging soon so hopefully have another go with Tettenang & will bitter & cube hop more.
Maybe mash 65c too

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1417226732.289017.jpg

Latest posts

Back