Good Melbourne Bottleshops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm off to Melbourne for a few days and besides Purvis & Cloudwine are there any other good bottleshops I should head to when required?

I searched but couldn't find any further info....

Jez

I'm guessing you know about Slowbeer? The beer only off shoot of Cloudwine? There is also Swords at the 3 main markets (Queen Vic, Prahran & South Melb). With all those I'm sure you'll be able to spend more than what you planned.

World Beer Shop in Moonee Ponds and Harvest Wine and liquor on High street Northcote.

If you want to head to a bar to try out a bundle of good beers head to "Cookie" its in Elizabeth St I think. They have an amazing beer list...more like a beer encyclopedia.

If you want to head to a bar to try out a bundle of good beers head to "Cookie" its in Elizabeth St I think. They have an amazing beer list...more like a beer encyclopedia.

Cookie is on Swanston St (one street up from Elisabeth).

Also worth checking are bar fred (north Carlton), transport and beer deluxe (fed square), Mrs Parmas (Little Bourke) and the James Squire Brewhouse (Russell Street)

King & Godfree Lygon St

Lygon St is like Melbourne's 'Little Italy' and King and Godfrey has a deli, cigars and good range of spirits up front and some intriguing beers towards the back. Quite a few shelves - not as many as say Purvis, but with Lygon St being so close to the CBD it's worth a look in. Walking distance when you get off the tram outside Melbourne Uni.

+1 on Acland St Cellars but check the use by/brewed on dates. Have heard rumours that some of their stock sits for a while there - but great range, including some eastern european stuff you can't get elsewhere.

Hopper.

+1 for Slowbeer in Hawthorn, awesome range.

As for bars, Bar None in Hawthorn East (near Camberwell Station) has a great beer menu.

i must admit the local bottlo in ringwood (in the 'burnt bridge shops' on maroondah hwy) has a bloody good range of beers. standard megaswill, standard faux micro (ie full coopers and JS range), some aussie micros (mad abbot in Qld, hargreaves, etc) and then a good range of imported such a TTL, Unibroue Trois Pistoles etc. the prices are a little higher than you could get at a Dan's or similar but they are local so its good.

edit: just read the OP properly. obviously ignore my suggestion unless your staying out in the eastern burbs. the above reccomendations will see you through your trip.

mayerling cellars at burnt bridge CM :icon_cheers: my local shop. the range does go up and down a bit but they arent bad for a small
suburban bottlo. especialy when the nearest alternative is liquorland!

Olinda cellars in the dandenongs has a pretty decent range of beers. im not sure theyd have anything you couldnt get
at purvis to make it worth the drive, but if your up that way for a look arround, id drop in.

The Prince bottle-o in St Kilda doesn't have a huge range but does have a couple of interesting ones. (Emerson's Epic, Rogue)

mayerling cellars at burnt bridge CM :icon_cheers: my local shop. the range does go up and down a bit but they arent bad for a small
suburban bottlo. especialy when the nearest alternative is liquorland!
yup its my closest also. we also shop at the coles there so its easy to drop in to the bottlo and grab a quick one. although $10 for TTL is a bit hard to swallow sometimes. other than that its great for a small bottlo to stock some decent beer

Latest posts

Back