Good Beer On Airplanes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
I was on a plane flight the other day and came across this beer (see photo), which they were offering for free as part of the light refreshments :eek: . I asked my work collegue beside me what the go was and he told me it was routine. Since it was canned, it was also quite fresh tasting.
A big up to Qantas for serving up something other than XXXX, which is an all to sorry sight given the flight was between Townsville and Cairns.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
JS_Can.jpg

Yep, Qantas (QF) has had JSGA on board for a little while now. Virgin America (VX) now serves 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die! IPA on their flights in the US. I can't think of any other craft brews on planes off the top of my head.

BA has Fullers London Pride. Well, they used to 5 years ago, but the last flight I went (LHR-SIN) on it wasn't on the menu :( I'm not sure whether they dropped it, or whether it is only on certain flights.

BA has Fullers London Pride. Well, they used to 5 years ago, but the last flight I went (LHR-SIN) on it wasn't on the menu :( I'm not sure whether they dropped it, or whether it is only on certain flights.

Yep they still do as of late last year, i used to fly BA/Qantas from england to Aus and the beer was good - until they run out and back to VB :(

The JSGA has been on Qantas flights for a good 6 months at least. Has made those work trips somewhat better. The staff always seem happy to offer up a second or third if you ask nicely.

Well that's good to hear about JS being onboard for a while now. I've never seen it in their carts, so I will have to ask for it by name next time.

JSGA has been and is only canned for Qantas so I am told.
Its my favourite on any Qantas flight

I like to stick w/ the SE Asian Airlines so i can get my hands on Tiger, Singha, Chang and depnding on your destination another local beer (coming home with Singapore they offer VB :(). Not to mention the inflight entertainment and food is woeful on Western airlines unless you are flying business class. Sausages and mash or Penne Pasta anyone?! :icon_vomit:

I prefer my Jungle Curry, Nasi Goreng or Singapore Noodles washed down with an icy cold Tiger or Singha. :chug:

I like to stick w/ the SE Asian Airlines so i can get my hands on Tiger, Singha, Chang and depnding on your destination another local beer (coming home with Singapore they offer VB :(). Not to mention the inflight entertainment and food is woeful on Western airlines unless you are flying business class. Sausages and mash or Penne Pasta anyone?! :icon_vomit:

I prefer my Jungle Curry, Nasi Goreng or Singapore Noodles washed down with an icy cold Tiger or Singha. :chug:

+1, although the dishes on Thai Airways I've got on recent flights to Thailand have been pretty rough.
The Singha's always go down well though.
:icon_offtopic: Picked up a 750ml bottle of Maekong Whiskey for 120B ($4) which survived the trip home in my luggage. Yeah it's no single malt, but not completely disgusting! haha

+1 on Singapore Airlines, the food and free-flowing Tiger passes the time rather nicely at 45000ft

Was pleasantly surprised with Etihad too recently, although they were paying for the ticket!! Not much craft beer where they come from though :ph34r:

Well that's good to hear about JS being onboard for a while now. I've never seen it in their carts, so I will have to ask for it by name next time.

Found it on the in flight drinks menu when I first experienced it on a Qantas flight last August.

Not to mention the inflight entertainment [judicious edit] is woeful on Western airlines unless you are flying business class.

OT but I gotta dispute this. The economy class entertainment is pretty amazing on Qantas international flights. I'm a picky bitch when it comes to movies and I've seen more stuff than you can poke a stick at but I could find enough to keep me occupied from Melbourne to LA (I don't, however, as I bring my own). It's a pretty good on demand system with a ton of pretty varied content which is changed around pretty regularly (except for the TV stuff, but if you wanna watch Friends all the way to the US you're a moron anyway).

OT but I gotta dispute this. The economy class entertainment is pretty amazing on Qantas international flights. I'm a picky bitch when it comes to movies and I've seen more stuff than you can poke a stick at but I could find enough to keep me occupied from Melbourne to LA (I don't, however, as I bring my own). It's a pretty good on demand system with a ton of pretty varied content which is changed around pretty regularly (except for the TV stuff, but if you wanna watch Friends all the way to the US you're a moron anyway).

They had awesome kickboxing flicks on Thai Airways.

I flew Austrian Airlines once. I've absolutely no recollection of the beers or the movies ... because the hostesses all looked like supermodels. :icon_drool2:

Last time I had Tiger on an aeroplane it was well lets think :icon_vomit:
Sitting outside in KLIA on the tarmac at 30deg probably doesn't help.

Ive had ok tigers before but not on any aeroplan...

I'm flying long haul with Qantas tomorrow, hopefully JS is in the can or they grabbed some Veltins for me.

We flew Singapore Air to Rome a couple of years ago and they were serving Sinha Stout! After a couple of full cans (not the little ones Qantas have) at 6.8%, I slept very soundly :)

Cheers - Snow

I did a double take when the hostess finished the beer list with JSGA... yippee! Sadly they weren't too keen on supplying at a rapid rate... apparently arriving in LA pissed is a bad thing.

I fly Cathay to China regularly (best business class IMO, herringbone layout!) and they have a good selection in their lounges (Tiger, Singha, Stella, Kingfischer, etc) but on board their best offering is Heiniken :(

Latest posts

Back