gone to the dark side. cling film for lid.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Made my second irish red this week. Forgot to clean a lid and thought about time I tried out the cling film method. Just so happens that I had a bag of huge elastic bands so I used one of those.

The barrel on the left is a Brown ale. The other two are the irish reds. I miss the sound of the airlock already but I can see that the yeast had started to do its job. Jury is out.

20140329_160253.jpg

Yup , find a cheap (free) fridge to plug into temp control . 18-20*
You wil mainly be brewing ales but with control you drop the base , I mean temp for flavourless lagers :)
Don't stress . ***** have been brewing beer , good beer for fuking ages ! Just enjoy the fun that brewing it brings !!

Your a brewer Now !!!!!!!!!!!!'

No Northside hands of no yes no no on yessss

I have a mate that I took to the brew shop and bought a keg system along with a fermenter, plug and play temp controller and two fresh wort kits. On the way back yesterday there was a lot of questions. So we went straight to his house to set it up and to get the beers going. While washing the fermenter I said here I will do the lid the response was no I'm using glad wrap. I'm following your techniques to a t I love your beers. His next purchase is a brew rig but he's very welcome to use mine until he makes his choice.

Funny, I was looking at that yesterday. Problem is my cellar door is thin and my bar fridge in my cellar will not fit a barrel. So I need to find a skinny fridge. Also reading about laugering - lot more involved than ales esp with temperature. I don't drink much lager but I would like to have a crack. Just don't want to spend much as I want to move to all grain.

I'm a bit suss on the oring method. I've had fruit flies manage to get inside the clingwrap but died on the long trek around the thread to the motherload. I use a rubber band now and make it sit on the bottom rung, nothing is getting passed that.

Ps. i have an extraordinary amount of fruit flies at my place.

You talking them little black things that are the sizs of fleas..but are not fleas...

Fruit flies are different..and bigger

If you have the liitle fuckers...then best make a trap

2ltr milk bottle, poke a few few holes up the top with a knife. Fill to 1/2 with some beer,red wine,honey,vinegar water.

Put it away from your ferm on the other side of the room

Yeup. Cold is a good thing. My cellar is cool also. I have some reading to do. Cold crashing and stuff...

I'm a bit suss on the oring method. I've had fruit flies manage to get inside the clingwrap but died on the long trek around the thread to the motherload. I use a rubber band now and make it sit on the bottom rung, nothing is getting passed that.

Ps. i have an extraordinary amount of fruit flies at my place.[/quote

I was told these are vinegar flies ? I get a lot of them around my compost bin especially if vegetable and fruit scraps have been put in it.

Latest posts

Back