Golden Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hashie

Reaction score
I'm going to do a Speckled Hen clone and was wondering, when is the best time to add golden syrup?

Would it be at mashout or just prior to the boil?

Cheers

I'd add it part way through the boil. The pom breweries add sugars and syrups to the kettle - which always surprised me because you would waste a bit that would be soaked up by the spent hops / hopback. However on reading some Pom brew books, they do that so that a bit of further caramelisation happens during the boil. Golden Syrup (I take it you are using Lyle's) might not need too long a boil as it's caramelly to start off with.

Thanks Bribie, yes I am using Lyle's.

I'll give it a go at 1/2 way through and then do a batch with it in at the start to see if there's a difference.

Thanks Bribie, yes I am using Lyle's.

I'll give it a go at 1/2 way through and then do a batch with it in at the start to see if there's a difference.

Word of advice - stir well! I added a jar to a boil too quickly but didn't stir well enough. It got to the bottom of my keggle and a mob of it stuck / burnt in the very bottom of the keg. Much strubbing and then much steelwool later and ... you get my drift.

Hashie, any chance you could post your recipe?

I use Lyles Treacle and Syrup for Stouts and Bitters, personally I like to remove some wort and mix in the syrup then add to the boil with 15 min to go. Time in the boil may depend on the colour contribution you hope to achieve. I like to maintain as much of the character of the Treacle as possible so add it late.

Screwy

I use Lyles Treacle and Syrup for Stouts and Bitters, personally I like to remove some wort and mix in the syrup then add to the boil with 15 min to go. Time in the boil may depend on the colour contribution you hope to achieve. I like to maintain as much of the character of the Treacle as possible so add it late.

Screwy

Hey Screwy where to get Lyles Treacle& Syrup?

Cheers

Paul

Hashie, any chance you could post your recipe?

Ingredients as follows for 27 litres OG 1057

Maris Otter 4.6 kg
Crystal 60l 0.56 kg

Northern Brewer 40g @9.7% a/a 60 minutes
EKG 15g @5.0% a/a 15 minutes
EKG 10g @ 5.0% a/a 5 minutes

850g Golden Syrup

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

Thanks for the advice Fatgodzilla, I'll be sure to add slowly so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

for what purpose are you adding golden syrup - to add to the gravity or to add a complexity to the flavour of the final beer ? I ask this question out of genuine interest because I thought / read that if you want to use such adjuncts for the purpose of enjoying the flavour, including stuff like honey and candi toffee etc, it was best to add it after high krausen during the fermentation stage.

Always learning, so any clarification would be great !

Screwy

Hey Screwy - any similarity to the results you get from wort caramelisation or two different beasts? If the latter - would you ever use both in the same beer?

Hey Screwy - any similarity to the results you get from wort caramelisation or two different beasts? If the latter - would you ever use both in the same beer?

Have added syrup during fermentation (in a recent brew to dry it out) mixed with some water (microwaved on power 2 for 10 min to pasteurise then cooled), can't say I noticed much difference to adding sugar. No I wouldn't add it to a beer that required caramelised wort. Have a recipe (from the UK boys) for a Choc Treacle Stout, the Treacle adds a very distinct flavour/aroma to it so it is added late to the boil.

Both Syrup and Treacle are available here at Coles supermarket. If you want to add some caramel for colour, simply include an amount of sugar in the recipe (for the desired OG) then caramelise it in a heavy base pan on the stove (cup of sugar heat over low heat and add a tablespoon of water, when it changes to a straw coloured liquid remove from the burner and gradually stir in 1/4 cup of water "carefully" then continue heating to reach the colour you want).

Screwy

Back