Golden Syrup - Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
Image003.jpg

oooops - almost grabbed the wrong one in a hurry! :lol:

I was going to add it to the start of the boil but i sparged for too long and will have to boil for a bit longer
meanwhile my FWH POR will be making my CPA clone further and further past 22IBUs
i thought the additional gravity would help hinder the IBU's but, IT SMELLS SO DAMN GOOD!
Oh man that's REAL golden syrup!
I want to add it to my cube with the flame out hops (no-chilling, shhhh don't tell anyone :ph34r: ) to preserve the aroma.

Is L&T Golden Syrup inverted enough to add to the wort that late in the boil that it misses it all together??

Is L&T Golden Syrup inverted enough to add to the wort that late in the boil that it misses it all together??

Add as late as you like - no problem :) .

cheers Ross

I think you could add the same amount of plain sugar at the end of the boil without any difficulty. I don't think the inversion matters that much.

Tangent,

Mate - wheeer'ed ya getit

Cheers
JSB

Tangent,

Mate - wheeer'ed ya getit

Cheers
JSB

Some local (Adelaide) Foodlands have it - try the one at Castle Plaza, Edwardstown for starters - that's where I get mine.

foodland, but one day it was on special, so i bought 2! :D

edit - go for a challenge and wrestle the rude old italian ladies at henley beach rd, torrensville, not the ones at easy old castle plaza :)
(i like castle plaza, it's got a bottlo)

foodland, but one day it was on special, so i bought 2! :D

and some hot pickle

i honestly do not think you'd notice a difference even wth it being 8.5% of the fermentables. I think it's a holdover from when sugar was 50% of the fermentables and the ferment was not hardly roses.

i tried to make conditions cozy for yeasties so i'm thinking they shouldn't have too much of a hard time.
i'm planning on using a captured CPA yeast with an addition of nottingham after racking to help drop it a few more points.

edit- and that chilli pickle is awesome. caraway sourdough toast with speck, eggs, chilli pickle and cheese. Oh yeah. Duffman would need a tall glass of Hefe after a breakfast like that on a Sunday morning.

I doubt they'd have a hard time, there is still plenty of nutrient from the malt and even uninverted I reckon those sugars are very easily accessible.

CPA I find will hit 75-80% apparent attenuation depending on grist and mash regime.

i tried to make conditions cozy for yeasties so i'm thinking they shouldn't have too much of a hard time.
i'm planning on using a captured CPA yeast with an addition of nottingham after racking to help drop it a few more points.

edit- and that chilli pickle is awesome. caraway sourdough toast with speck, eggs, chilli pickle and cheese. Oh yeah. Duffman would need a tall glass of Hefe after a breakfast like that on a Sunday morning.

Will be in SA for a month in April/May, your place for breakky sounds the GO. :D

if i had my way Screwtop, that'd be my brekkie and dinner 24/7 (maybe some smoked Atlantic salmon and capers as well, but that'd really be twisting my arm)

Even though the wort is cooling now, i'm thinking that to replicate speiseing(sp?) the bottles or keg for secondary carbonation, an addition of T&L syrup infused with POR would be a good thing. I dry-hopped my hot and melting cube (? this is normal and fine & dandy no-chillers??) with 1gpl of POR and I've gotta admit Brauluver Dave, it is a nice hop when used for good instead of megaswill. it smells awesome(ish) if you can gag away the memories of Anything Draught.

one of my biggest blunders today was my tightarsedness
i adjusted the recipe with my software so it'd use almost exactly 1 can of GS.
trouble was it worked out to a volume of 27L
i usually either make 20L or 30L batches and screwed up the sparge amount

Not sure i understand, but I hope ithe syrup doesn't fall to the bottom of your cube and stay there under the break/yeast cake.

cheers

Darren

I dry-hopped my hot and melting cube (? this is normal and fine & dandy no-chillers??) with 1gpl of POR

It's grouse, but I wouldn't call it dry hopping. You're throwing the hops into hot wort, but there's no room for any aroma to escape, and no cutoff of extraction from racking to kettle. I guess it is most equivalent to a flameout addition then lidding the kettle and waiting 15-30 minutes for whirlpool and CF chilling.

Someone has called it LWH (last wort hopping), a term I like to use.

The static hopback might be a good way of looking at it, yes.

yeah, like a melting nowhere-to-go hop back. a little bit of smell came out... and it was good.

Darren, when i added the GS it sank to the bottom of the kettle and started to growl like an old dog, so i stirred it up pretty quickly. But yes, my original idea was to add it to the (melting) cube. It did get a bit of a tip around the place to coat all (melting) walls and also, I threw it in a bath of cold water, thereby negating all water saving benefits of no-chill (watered the plants with it)

Not sure i understand, but I hope ithe syrup doesn't fall to the bottom of your cube and stay there under the break/yeast cake.

cheers

Darren

Darren, do you think the yeast would ignore the Syrup, would they feel it was, er, Beneath Them :D

Let us know how this beer comes up and if its even drinkable because the ESB i made with it at 5% although drinkable was not much of a drop. The flavour is quite strong and certainly didn't give me what I was expecting from my research.
I don't think I'll be using it again anyway, maybe I just can't brew to start with but thats another matter. :blink:

Cheers
Jayse

Darren, do you think the yeast would ignore the Syrup, would they feel it was, er, Beneath Them :D

Screwtop,

Just saw this. I think the yeasties need the sugar to be dissolved in water to allow them to ferment it.

I imagine the syrup would fall to the bottom and stick like golden syrup does.

Also as the break material and exhausted yeast fell to the bottom of the fermenter it would effectively cover the syrup therefore not allowing any convection currents to dissolve it to fermentable percentages.

cheers

Darren

Back