Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy benno

Reaction score
Hi all, im doing a golden ale using sparkling ale as base, liquid wheat malt and amarillo.
Any one done it and how good was it.

cheers Benno

Hi Benno,
Check this recipe out..
Highest rating recipe on the site, and exactly what you're after.

Look at the thread if you want some info. Good beer!

Hi all, im doing a golden ale using sparkling ale as base, liquid wheat malt and amarillo.
Any one done it and how good was it.

cheers Benno

Have done the same recipe:
Coops Sparkling Ale
1.5 kg Coopers wheat
25gms Ammarillo
200 gms crystal grain
US05 yeast
except I steeped 200gms crytsal grain in about 2 litres to add a bit extra. Didnt attempt mash temp. Boiled 25 gms ammarillo for 15 mins in with the sparging from the grain, strained into fermenter and added a Tbag of ammarillo finishing hops too. Very nice.
John

Ok being a K&K guy at the moment, I'll ask the questions . . .

1. What do I do with the caramalt?? steep? how long what temp / / /

2. Does the goop go into the fermenter or in the saucepan with the other stuff??

3. If I ring Ross and say Give me an extract DR Smurtos'Golden kit.will it be easier?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Bruce

DSGA is awsome. I just had my first bottles come good, only problem is that its nearly all gone :(.

It will be very hard to find better than the link A3k put in.

Words of advice I got from Dr. Smurto:
Steeped the caramlt in ~1L of water at ~65C (easiest way to get 65C water is 2 parts boiling water, 1 part normal tap water). Let it steep for 30 -60 mins. Strain thru a wire strainer into your pot and rinse with 1L of cold water. add 1/2 the tin of Coopers Wheat malt, top up with boiling water to ~4L and bring to the boil.

Add the first lot of 15g of amarillo once its boiling and hit go on the stopwatch/timer. After 10 mins add another 15g. After another 5 mins turn the heat off. If your pot is big enough, add the rest of the wheat malt as well as the kit to get them dissolved. If not, add these to the fermenter.

Now you can strain out the hops if you wish. I did. Poured it all thru a stocking that had been sitting in boiling water. But its not necessary as the hops will settle on the bottom of the fermenter.

Top up to 23L (or 20 if you want a slightly stronger beer). with cold water (i used to store ~5L of water in the fridge) and wait till the temp its 20C or below. Pitch the US05 yeast.

Made this up on Monday night.

Boy the hops smell fruity! Almost overpowering.

How long does this one need to condition in the bottle to even out the hops, or is it all aroma, and not as bitter.

Cheers

Mine were good after about 4 weeks.
The bittering is from the sparkling kit, the other additions are for flavour and aroma.
Great drop this one, enjoy.

Im hanging to make this GA kit, iv'e been flat out lately so i haven't had achance to put it down, the recipe's look fantastic i can't wait to get it into the keg so i can start drinking it, and others can say wow whats this, this is great.

thanks for the replies

cheers Benno

I'm cooking one of these up as we speak, but with a few modifications. Using Nottingham yeast and NZ golding Flowers, due to amarillo being frightfully expensive at the moment.

Fisrt time using hops that arent pellets and first time steeping sepc. grain. Damn that caramalt smells so good!!

Back