Going To *the* Bottle Shop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane_rosenberg

Reaction score
G'Day All,

Next week work is sending me to some back-water hick-town in Kentucky.

I'm sure it's actually very nice but it's Kentucky and I've never been before so I'm taking some poetic license.

So naturally I cruise the web for a while to see what there is to do there: Golf... Horse Ranch... ... ... Hello...

The Beer Trappe

So now I'm faced with a conundrum. Check out the bottles list at that joint! Now customs say:

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 2.25 litres of alcohol duty-free into Australia with you.

Which is three long necks or a six-pack. So, what should I bring back that is pretty hard to find in Australia?

P.S. I'll make sure to have a few from the taps while I'm browsing the shelves :icon_cheers:

Kentucky is Moonshine Country !

Personally I would be bringing back a mixed 6 pack of Dogfish Head, because it seems you cant get it here in Oz.

im sure you could get back with at least 12 750ml bottles. just be polite and have a list of what you have, its got me through every time so far.
there is also a brewery in lexington ill find the details. they made a really nice bourbon barrel red ale.

You can bring back more :) you just have to declare it and pay the duty/excise or whatever you want to call the tax :(

Bring back memories, not beer

I'll be on the ground for two days and both will be spent at a factory. The bottle shop will most likely be the highlight.

You can bring back more, you just have to declare it and pay the duty/excise or whatever you want to call the tax.

After a return trip to the US inside a week I'm not sure I could deal with having to pay beer tax when I get home.

I'll be on the ground for two days and both will be spent at a factory. The bottle shop will most likely be the highlight.

Then my suggestion is to not be so damn busy and have a bit of fun. ;) Why rush back - I heard the fried chicken is quite good.

Charles Manson was raised in Kentucky.

could post/ship some to your house ? might be cheaper than payen taxez

:chug: you got one night to sample as many and if you can cope go back the next night and get a few to bring back.

For the record I came back with:

North Coast Brewing Co:
1x Brother Thelonius
1x Pranqster

Left Hand Brewing Co.:
1x Milk Stout

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel:
1x Solstice d'Hiver

...they made a really nice bourbon barrel red ale...

Tied it on tap:
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Top drink, and I don't even like bourbon!

If you're ever in Kentucky, I cannot recommend the Beer Trappe highly enough. Best beer bar I've ever been to, and prices to make any beer lover smile ($2 Coopers Green bottles anyone?).

Haven't sampled the 4 I brought home yet. Plan to do so this Friday in front of the footy.

...Personally I would be bringing back a mixed 6 pack of Dogfish Head...

Had the 60min IPA at a restaurant one night. Good beer for the hop head! It's amazing how easy it is to find quality beer over in the USA. It was quite sad to get back to the airport in Sydney and see the 8 CUB beers plus Corona lined up over the bar. :(

Edit: Spelling

Well it wouldn't hurt if he's gonna bring back some beer to remind him of the good memories he made in Kentucky. If he's generous enough, his fortunate friends might also get to taste how good his trip was. :icon_cheers: If he ever decides to bring home more chugs to enjoy, the only thing that'll hurt is his wallet considering the continuous rise in the beer price. Read more here: The cost of beer is still on the rise, newstype.com. Bring down the price in the name of happy times, I say! :beerbang:

Back