Gluten Free Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuwort

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to do a brew for a mate who has Coeliacs. I'm thinking of doing an experimental brew using Breiss Sorghum, rice malt, corn malt and dextrose and using Hallertau and Tettenanger hops. Does any one have a suggestion for the lager yeast. I want to try and create an easy to drink lager for Coeliacs (I know it's hard to create a lager like Corona).

I would suggest using some corn based maltodextrin to give the beer some body. The sorghum extract can result in quite a thin beer. It can also have an odd sweetness even when the beer is very dry. I think the danstar yeasts are raise on GF media. FWIW I found rice malt syrup to not be a great addition.

All Danstar yeasts are GF. Same with Safale. I like Saflager S-23. You'll need about 250-300g of maltodextrin to give enough body or you could add a little crush buckwheat to the boil. Id use MD in a lager. In my lager I use 2kg of sorghum syrup to 500g of rice malt syrup but I also mash in some malted millet to make it about 4.5% ABV. You could add dextrose (from corn) to bring up the ABV.

All Danstar yeasts are GF. Same with Safale. I like Saflager S-23. You'll need about 250-300g of maltodextrin to give enough body or you could add a little crush buckwheat to the boil. Id use MD in a lager. In my lager I use 2kg of sorghum syrup to 500g of rice malt syrup but I also mash in some malted millet to make it about 4.5% ABV. You could add dextrose (from corn) to bring up the ABV.

Latest posts

Back