Gluten Free Beer Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapdrunk

Reaction score
G'day brewers,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm looking for a recipe or two for tasty gluten free beers I may be able to con my old man into brewing so I can still have beers with a bloke with celiacs, he loves beer but doesn't do his insides good. Kicking myself I sold all my stuff otherwise I'd experiment, dad wants a recipe...

Before you ask I have tried the commercial beer, but it's not fantastic and costs $6 a bottle from the bottle shop!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cd

G'day brewers,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm looking for a recipe or two for tasty gluten free beers I may be able to con my old man into brewing so I can still have beers with a bloke with celiacs, he loves beer but doesn't do his insides good. Kicking myself I sold all my stuff otherwise I'd experiment, dad wants a recipe...

Before you ask I have tried the commercial beer, but it's not fantastic and costs $6 a bottle from the bottle shop!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cd

i think from memory a member on here called milletman makes gluten free beer. Do a search with "gluten" and his name

Steve's memory is just right. Here's a link. It's fairly involved to say the least. You could also pm him.

Steve's memory is just right. Here's a link. It's fairly involved to say the least. You could also pm him.

:huh: holy hell, that's way outta my old man's league... that ol' boy's got some learnin' to do!!!! thanks for the help!

*cough* spirits *cough* water distillation *cough cough*

Bad case of the flu going around at the moment ;)

But seriously, you can get some strange stuff if you look around, malted rye and triticale can be had, but problem is that barley and wheat have the best enzymes around for it, and besides, you gotta do AG to get into it.

A timely question.
My favourite brewing podcast just did an episode on gluten free brewing, with several links from the show. Here

cheers

I'm up for a shot at making some GF beer for my partner who is a little gluten intolerant. She will have the odd regular beer with me, but only once a week. So I told her I'd have a crack at something for her. We sampled O'Briens last night (finally tracked it down), and while it was definitely different, it actually tasted ok.

Anyone know where you can get the ingredients? I see G&G used to sell some but are either currently out of stock or don't sell it anymore. I'm particularly after malted millet.

I'm up for a shot at making some GF beer for my partner who is a little gluten intolerant. She will have the odd regular beer with me, but only once a week. So I told her I'd have a crack at something for her. We sampled O'Briens last night (finally tracked it down), and while it was definitely different, it actually tasted ok.

Anyone know where you can get the ingredients? I see G&G used to sell some but are either currently out of stock or don't sell it anymore. I'm particularly after malted millet.

Chad,

I'm just in the process of sorting out some Sorgum. I'll make a retail post when in Stock.

cheers Ross...

Chad,

I'm just in the process of sorting out some Sorgum. I'll make a retail post when in Stock.

cheers Ross...
Nice :super: Is this likely to be malted, and is there any chance of millet too in the near future?

Does anybody know if unmalted millet will work???

I am thinkiong of brewing a GF beer for a friend. I tried one a while back using rice malt and sugar, and as expected, it was pretty ordinary!

I was thinking of getting some millet from a health food store and home roasting 5% of it and then doing an AG brew with it... What do you reckon?

Are you going to crush it on your mill?
I am pretty sure a gluten free mill is required.
Cheers
Gerard

Good point Gerard - would be plenty of gluten-rich dust on the mill... Apparently even using the same mash tun and boiler as barley beers can be risky...

Maybe I'll just use a blender or something... :ph34r:

With barley, the malting process produces the enzymes that convert starches into sugars in the mash. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case with other grains too. I'm guessing that unmalted millet has no enzymes so no conversion in the mash. You could always pm milletman and get the expert opinion.

Thanks Stuster,

But unmalted wheat still produces sugars when mashed (albeit less sugars than malted wheat)... wouldn't it work the same way with other grains?

I wouldn't mind giveing a GF beer a go but if it means malting my own grain it may end up being a bit hard!

It does in a mash, T.D. There are heaps of enzymes in there from the malted barley/wheat that will convert the adjuncts like unmalted wheat, oats, millet....

Perhaps your LHBS will start stocking malted millet soon, along with malted oats, triticale, sorghum, .... How about it, Gerard? :lol:

I getcha now...

:lol: Yeah, Gerard, how 'bout it...???

Bit late on this topic but I've been travelling in WA and China for the last month or so - still in China and looking forward to getting home this weekend and back to my beloved keg fridge. :beerbang:

You can make a beer of sorts from unmalted millet, sorghum, maize, buckwheat, rice etc but you have to add some commercial enzymes to convert the starch, a product called clarase will do the trick. But the beer will be pretty bland and lacking in maltiness.

For best results you need to malt the grain which can be a pain unless you set up for it properly.

I was hoping to have some millet malt for HBer's out already but with work commitments, moving house, and getting ready to establish a commercial GF brewery and maltings it just has not happened yet. But stay tuned. ;)

Cheers, Andrew.

Hey guys, my mum's a coeliac and she faced this problem herself.

She's a big beer drinker and was totally pissed off that she wasn't gonna be able to drink beer.

Now, for those of you who are coeliac, you will know that when some people go on a "gluten free" diet, they don't stick to it that well. My mum doesn't do things by halves, she hasn't had a single molecule of gluten since she was diagnosed 4 years ago...

except in beer! she says if something was cooked on a plate that had been earlier used for cooking in breadcrumbs or something, she can tell cos she gets knots in her stomach from the tiny residual gluten.

Beer, however, DOESN'T AFFECT HER AT ALL. Further research indicates that this is becausue the traces of gluten in the final beer product are absolutely tiny.

Get ur mate to try a normal, commercial beer, he'll be able to tell if there's enough gluten in there to affect him, don't be afraid of it. Dunno about homebrew, I wouldn't be so confident, but if he just tries one homebrew, the worst that could happen is he'd get a bit of a sore tummy and stuff. Tell ur mate to give it a shot, the gluten in beer is VERY minute.

Latest posts

Back