Glass vs PET

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
hey, just wondering if anyone has any opinions (im sure you do) or has done any comparisons between PET bottles and Glass bottles?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Brown PET bottles ala Coopers are great easy to tell when the beer is carbed as they go hard. Never had a problem and used a multitude of times. Glass bottles also Coopers longnecks are brilliant too. The biggest pain is capping as you need to shell out for a capping machine and it makes bottling slow.

I use PET bottles and love them. The only down side that I'm aware of, is that they may not be very good for long term storage because they are porous, and will oxidise the beer over time. Not sure how long that would take though,the longest I've managed to keep a batch is about seven weeks.

I can confirm that plastic bottles will lose carb after long term storage and will oxidise.

A good capper makes it quick with glass.

I always use a few placcie ones to keep an eye on carb.

If doing a high carb berlinerweiss or belgian I will only use champagne and plastic.

Markbeer said:
I can confirm that plastic bottles will lose carb after long term storage and will oxidise.

A good capper makes it quick with glass.
How long did it take for that to happen? Like I said, a couple of months would probably the max time that I've ever kept a beer.

How do you guys manage to get seals on PET bottles? I have never been able to get a proper seal on a PET bottle. I've since moved to glass bottles, but I would love to know PET bottle tricks and tips.

Never had a problem using Coopers/Morgans bottles haven't even replaced any lids so far. I also use one 600ml coke bottle as a sampler bottle and that still seals well.

Anything that is going to hang around for a while, (porters, stout, mead, cider) I put in glass with one of those 300ml PET soft drink bottles per batch as a tester/taster. Everything else goes in Coopers PET and I reuse the screw caps. Never had a problem.

I use both Coopers PET bottles and CUB 750ml glass bottles. Both are fine and take around half an hour to bottle 12.

I got to try my mates AG home brew from 2008 and he had some bottled in both glass (the old pickaxe bottles) and the new plastic PET.

The glass tasted great and still had great carbonation.
The PET lost all carb and tasted REALLY bad, we tipped them out.

Avoid plastic like the plauge just incase you end up storing them for a long time.

Edit to add: Go for the coopers long neck bottles, they are the best new bottles you can get.

I have some old pottery vessels with cork/wooden stoppers. Wonder how they would go

Based on recent experience if you're entering a competition with anything that isn't going to be more than a couple of months old go for PET. They are much easier for stewards to handle, less likely to break and the judges can take a fair guess as to whether it's a gusher before they open it in the middle of the table.

p.s. make sure you use a new lid for any bottles for competitions, some judges take reused lids as a sign that you're cutting corners on a batch that should be the best you can do. There does appear to be some correlation, potentially coincidental, between reused lids and beers that don't score well.

Haha. Won't someone think if the stewards?!

Back