Glass Rinser And Water Through An Icebank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmacdonald

Reaction score
Those of you who've seen my thread about Andale taps and fonts will know that I'm not going down the chesty or keg fridge route - I've got an icebank. Now I do have a fridge in the bar but it's a glass bar fridge which is big enough for any drinks I won't be dispensing through the font but there's not going to be any room for a shelf full of glasses. Now I don't want to start a war about hot or cold glasses, but I like cold glasses so that's why I'm asking this question.

Part of the reason for going straight to kegs is that I don't care for washing bottles all the time. Logically it follows that I also don't want to be washing glasses all the time. I've consequently been thinking about trying to get hold of a glass rinser and putting it beside the font riser at the back of the drip tray. As I have four coils in my icebank, I don't expect to use them all for beer (at least initially anyway) and was thinking of having two coils for beer, one for pre-mix spirits and perhaps the fourth for cold water. Now if I have cold water "on tap", it would be simple to tee off this to supply the glass rinser. This way you can rinse your glass out and chill it at least slightly before you pull another beer. A-la the Belgian Beer Cafe in Brisbane for those who've been there.

Biggest problem I can see with that I had previously overlooked is that water left sitting in one of the icebank coils could freeze and prevent me from running a cold water line. Is this likely to be a problem? I'm guessing the water circulated by the agtator and the pump through the font doesn't ever quite get to zero degrees as it doesn't freeze. Therefore the beer coils should only ever get fairly close to zero but not actually freeze, right? I might have to chuck some water in the icebank and flood the font and measure some temperatures.

Aside from that potential problem, anyone have any idea where one might start looking for a glass rinser? Not a glass washer, but a rinser that you push an inverted glass down onto that squirts water up into the glass.

Extremely expensive and I can only find on evilbay -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Glass-Rinser-Tray-1...=item3eff8b04b0

I was looking for a more passive approach of a glass cleaner (in a reservoir with alkaline detergent) followed by a more sturdier version of a bottle rinser to wash the bottles with clean filtered water (I can only find the plastic variety)

Best of luck

Back