Glass Lid For Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitternacht Brauer

Reaction score
Just cos I like to tinker , I thought I would take the handle off a glass lid that I got at House and enlarge the hole to fit my new sparge arm down the center . With a grommit in it I thought I would be able to adjust the height with the friction provided by the grommit. Well I went through a few different stones in the dremmel and got sick of spraying with water so about 5 minutes after the hole was finished I was sorting out the arm so as to fit it in the lid when I hear a "POP" and the gently tinkle of broken glass . Arghhhh Well I need to rethink my cooling before I have another go . Maybe I won't have a second go.

Learn something new every day .

Just thought I'd share for a laugh

flame suit on

buster

ha ha!

10 points for tying though.

I had a glass saucepan lid on my mash tun for a while and you cant see anything anyway.......... it just gets covered in condensation, and once the mash in........... not much happens in there.

I keep my return submerged so you cant even see that!

Watching the mash, mash, is very over rated.

now a double glazed glass mash tun............. that would look cool !!!

cheers

HI Tony ,

Big let down .I've been toying with this idea for awhile and tonight just hit me with the right mood .Some times it doesn't pay to get keen.

Buster

Just cos I like to tinker , I thought I would take the handle off a glass lid that I got at House and enlarge the hole to fit my new sparge arm down the center . With a grommit in it I thought I would be able to adjust the height with the friction provided by the grommit. Well I went through a few different stones in the dremmel and got sick of spraying with water so about 5 minutes after the hole was finished I was sorting out the arm so as to fit it in the lid when I hear a "POP" and the gently tinkle of broken glass . Arghhhh Well I need to rethink my cooling before I have another go . Maybe I won't have a second go.

Learn something new every day .

Just thought I'd share for a laugh

flame suit on

buster

You could consider doing the same thing but using a thick piece of perspex. I use one to sit on the top of my fermenter (I don't use an air lock) and it provides a glass like view into the wort. Same thing can apply to a mash tun and should also provide insulation. In fact I have given myself an idea.

Cheers, Hoges.

Great Hogan , I'm all keen again . I think I may be able to find some 10mm Lexan Mmmmmm.

I'll post some pics in a couple of minutes

Buster

P8043013.JPG BeforeP8043012.JPGAfter

Sad face Buster

Have you seen screwy's lid, it is not clear to see through but would insulate very well.

QldKev

Show us your lid screwy.

Cheers, Hoges.

As Tony in Post 2 says, it's hard to see through a glass lid when it's covered with condensation on the inside & not really necessary. If you want to insulate your lid why not stick on what you use around the sides with a bit of silicone?

Insulation.JPG

TP

i think i've asked you before TP but what is & where can i get that insulation you have, it's looks the ducks nuts B)

cheers
Yard

Yardy,

Got it from Clark Rubber for about $21 a metre. 1.3 metres was enough to go around the tun & the scrap width was just wide enough to cover the lid IIRC.
Still don't know what it's called but your Clark Rubber should be able to order it in if you give them a description (Aluminium backed rubber sheeting). It comes in two thicknesses with 9mm the thickest. Discounts are available for fitters only. :lol:

TP

Yardy,

Got it from Clark Rubber for about $21 a metre. 1.3 metres was enough to go around the tun & the scrap width was just wide enough to cover the lid IIRC.
Still don't know what it's called but your Clark Rubber should be able to order it in if you give them a description (Aluminium backed rubber sheeting). It comes in two thicknesses with 9mm the thickest. Discounts are available for fitters only. :lol:

TP

Cheers TP, bloody fitters get all the discounts, explains why they're all incredibly wealthy...

apologies for :icon_offtopic: btw

Yard

buster, same thing happened to me when trying to drill out a glass lid. it fractures. these lids arent designed to be machineable, even with diamond router bits

Sera I used a stone in the dremmel .
I started with water on it but it did take a while and I stopped the water half way into it . I should have kept that up and it would have been OK . Thats how hobby glass grinders work. I may have been inpatient ...Naa .

Buster

buster, possibly.. i also used a dremel, but i did it extremely carefully and 'successfully' drilled the hole out. the issue has to do with the way the glass has been treated (safety glass i believe) and eventually would crack. You might have been lucky to drill it out and have it not crack, but I give it no more than 2 heat-cool cycles on your tun before it smashed itself again..

Hi Sera
I think I may go with the lexan anyway . Easier to work with and cheaper than replacing another lid from the kitchen .

Buster

Not that I have tried it, but I dunno whether a hand-held dremel is the right tool for the job. I've heard of folks using a bench drill with some hard copper pipe for the bit, cooled with oil. I'd love to be able to put about a 50mm hole in one of those stockpot lids - not to see mash but, ehrrm, the condensation.

Lexan bothers me a little on account of being polycarbonate. Prolly OK for mash, but nothing fermented.

Got around to knocking up this lid for the mash tun yesterday. It's made of 10ml perspex which is hinged across the centre. Have not tested it under brew conditions but think it will most probably fog up with the condensation but the mash can still be viewed by lifting the flap. The lid fits snug & sits on a ledge just below the rim. Don't know if the perspex will be a good heat retainer but as my tun is double walled and direct heat fired I don't think that should be a problem. Previously had a styro foam plug which did not allow any access during the mash so this is a step forward.

Cheers, Hoges.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 26
Got around to knocking up this lid for the mash tun yesterday. It's made of 10ml perspex which is hinged across the centre. Have not tested it under brew conditions but think it will most probably fog up with the condensation but the mash can still be viewed by lifting the flap. The lid fits snug & sits on a ledge just below the rim. Don't know if the perspex will be a good heat retainer but as my tun is double walled and direct heat fired I don't think that should be a problem. Previously had a styro foam plug which did not allow any access during the mash so this is a step forward.

Cheers, Hoges.

View attachment 29823
View attachment 29824
View attachment 29825
View attachment 29826

My Lord , Behold the thing of beauty,

That is truly some nice work . Lots of free time at work or no kids I'm thinking.

My brew time and brewhouse manufacturing (tinkering) time starts when kids go to bed . I've had brews cubed at 1am some times .

Back