Glass Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quachy

Reaction score
Just wondering where people get there glass bottles from?

Quachy

From drinking large amounts of commercial beer. just wash the bottles after you or your mates have a few, or you can buy them at home brew shops my local has them forsale im pretty sure.

simple.

Phil on ebay sells bottltes, his prices are very reasonable. Just do a search on ebay for beer bottles etc. He is in Cranbourne. His user name is thebottlebloke

Cheers Geoff

not meaning to be rude but why buy bottles off ebay when you can buy a slab of king browns ???? and just re use them and you get to drink them.

G'day Quachy

Mate i got all my bottles from either a: Drinking lots of commercial camel piss (vb)
b: Go to a local Recyclers (tip) and they should have crates of em
i used to live in Vic now in Qld and have found heaps in both states for about $6 for a crate of 14 try to get the old school non-srew top types much better at not exploding under pressure (trust me i found out the hard way) When you get them home just soak them in a dilute bleach solution and get yourself a bottle brush and go hard its a pita the first time but once you get your stocks up you just have to rinse them after drinking.

+1 for the recycling depot comment. I scored over 140 stubbies and two dozen longies, all in their proper cases! Great score, no way I'm bottling in plastic again any time soon...

Quachy

try a reception centre .. that where i got most of my champagne bottles from , they only bin them normally...

either that or like others have said drink more commercial beer to get your supply up , drink coopers and you get yeast as well...

not meaning to be rude but why buy bottles off ebay when you can buy a slab of king browns ???? and just re use them and you get to drink them.

I also do that, however to get a quick stash of bottle, Phil charges about $50 for 200 stubbies, cleaned and delabelled. I think it is good value.

Each to their own. Geoff

I also do that, however to get a quick stash of bottle, Phil charges about $50 for 200 stubbies, cleaned and delabelled. I think it is good value.

Each to their own. Geoff

its not a bad deal but why pay for something you can get for nothing , i gave more than 20 dozen clean de-labeled bottles away to fellow brewers when i left sydney, id rather give them away than sell them , and would hope other brewers would do the same to help a fellow brewer out of a jam ..

looking at some of the prices people pay for bottles on ebay maybe i should have sold them , would have paid for petrol money ...

lol!
But yes, there are a ton of sources for free bottles. Just a few blocks from my flat, there is a shop selling milk and outside they have crates and crates of used bottles, awaiting to be thrown away.

Quachy

I have also bought from Phil in Cranbourne. His bottles are cleaned, delabelled, and sterilised when you get them. All you need to do is rinse them in sanitiser just b4 bottling.

Be wary of used bottles from the recycling depot as they often have cigarette butts, bottle tops and other assorted junk in them, plus heaps of mould. They need a good soak in caustic to remove all of the lables, and a good scrub with a bottle brush to get the mould out. This takes quite a long time, especially when you are doing stubbies. However, once you get a stock of them, you just rinse them after drinking from them, and store them away for next time.

Phil can supply you 100 or 200 lots of the same bottle, which is often hard to get from the recycling depot. So, if you are doing a Coopers extract up, you can get 100 Coopers stubbies to put them in, and use the Coopers caps from Coles. This makes it feel more authentic.

The reception centres are a good source, as they normally supply a limited range of beers. They also supply premium beers in the 330ml stubbies. I like these as I can fit 25 in a plastic milk crate, and they do not slop around when travelling in the car. The milk crates then stack 3-4 high in the garage, saving floor space.

Barry

Latest posts

Back