Gladwrap instead of airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feldon said:
I've often pondered the merits of fermenting in the toilet bowl. With the lid down of course. Wouldn't want an infection.

When fermentation is done siphon out into bottles, have a crap, and flush everything away, turds, yeast cake and all.

A doctor told me once that urine is sterile, so I'd give the bowl a good rinse with this organic, self-produced no-rinse sanitiser.
think I feel sick!

Ducatiboy stu said:
I can see the headlines..

Thousands of Airlock makers now out of work. Airlock manufactures ask Government for industry assistance package
Diversification and re branding is the key to their survival.

Theres a tiny bong in there somewhere.

Go to costco "evil us enterprise similar to Woolworth's, coles ect" and get the extra wide 60cm glad wrap.

So much more real estate to unravel.

elcarter said:
Go to costco "evil us enterprise similar to Woolworth's, coles ect" and get the extra wide 60cm glad wrap.

So much more real estate to unravel.
Oooooh I didn't know this existed, all attempts to find an extra wide glad wrap have come up empty. I was almost gunna make the leap & grab some pallet wrap.

Thanks for the info

I bet Aldi will get some in eventually, they sell everything, occasionally.

I think it's like 1.2 KM of glad wrap. You'll almost never run out.

Unless your mate need to be warped up before his missus picks him up.

Better get two rolls.

:icon_offtopic: (hasn't MOST of this thread been??). Thanks, guys! I haven't had such a good laugh in awhile reading this thread.

Once ya use glad wrap ya wont look back. I strap my temp probe to the side and let it dangle im the wort before the glad wrap goes on as well.

1423645695454.jpg

Dave70 said:
Heres a candid photo taken from my brew house.
I like to have the room flooded and pressurized with CO2 to prevent any oxidization, hence the breathing apparatus.
We also see my assistant hosing me down with Starsan prior to shaking my yeast starter (held in a separate hermetically sealed, accessible only via air lock oxygen filled chamber) .
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean wild yeasts and oxygen aren't ruining your brew.

Berlin+Hospital+Prepares+Possible+Ebola+Cases+h0vT68j73VUl.jpg
Maybe it's just that way that whitish stuff is sprayed across that orange door, but I'm a bit concerned for the guy leaning over and the angle of those gloves behind him, looks like he has been in that position before.

jyo said:
Duct tape over the hole wprks great.
how does the C02 escape?..does this create a pressurised ferment?

I personally have been using glad wrap for years and commonly ferment for 1- 2 weeks in primary...but I am finding issues with acetaldehyde in recent batches, which have all had 2-3 weeks in primary with glad wrap...Im going to try switching back to an airlock to see if it solves the problem for these extended ferments.

Unclestewbrew said:
I'm after some advise on using gladwrap instead of the air locks.
I'd be using glad wrap instead of lids rather than airlocks.

Latest posts

Back