Gladwrap instead of airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclestewbrew

Reaction score
Hi fellas ,
I've recently scored a brew fridge and am waiting on my temp controller to arrive.
The fridge will hold both my fermenters but the air locks will cause problems.
I'm after some advise on using gladwrap instead of the air locks.
My main question is do you need to poke a few holes in the gladwrap or will the gass just force it's way out around the edges.
Also , are there any other advantages of using gladwrap as it seems most photos posted have it instead of the usual air locks ,

Thanks in advance ,
Stu

No don't poke holes in it as the gas will escape . Use the rubber O ring from the lid to hold it in place . Advantage is that you can see what's going on and one or two less items to clean and sanitise .

No need to poke holes in the cling wrap - the CO2 will find a way out.

Its common practice to use the rubber ring from the lid to secure the cling wrap.

There has been vigorous debate on here as to whether cling wrap allows oxygen from the air to penetrate the cling wrap and enter the fermentor (the gas laws relating to the partial pressure of oxygen were cited in one thread). However, brewers seemed to agree that cling wrap has no detectable negative affect on the beer.

Good luck.

RIS pitched.jpg

Unclestewbrew said:
My main question is do you need to poke a few holes in the gladwrap or will the gass just force it's way out around the edges.
Also , are there any other advantages of using gladwrap as it seems most photos posted have it instead of the usual air locks ,

Thanks in advance ,
Stu
I use to, don't any more. Both methods seem to work well. May want a small hole when draining off the beer as not to suck everything into the fermenter though.
Air locks are for mugs. Cling wrap all the way.

Thanks for the speedy replies fellas , looks like I'm off to the supermarket for a new roll
I will have a good read of the link above so I know what I'm doing ,

Thanks again , always great advice ,

Feldon said:
There has been vigorous debate on here as to whether cling wrap allows oxygen from the air to penetrate the cling wrap and enter the fermentor (the gas laws relating to the partial pressure of oxygen were cited in one thread). However, brewers seemed to agree that cling wrap has no detectable negative affect on the beer
indeed there was, fun it was too, Im willing to accept that it probably does to a degree, however... how much of that makes it's way into the beer as DO was not put forward, and I guess that is the critical bit, if it's just in the headspace, WGAS right? if it contributes significantly to DO then it may be an issue.. but it doesnt seem to be so... carry on :lol:

Just close the airlock hole up i use a wad of glad wrap and throw away after each brew .Place a plastic bag over the fermenter to keep top clean..

Heres a candid photo taken from my brew house.
I like to have the room flooded and pressurized with CO2 to prevent any oxidization, hence the breathing apparatus.
We also see my assistant hosing me down with Starsan prior to shaking my yeast starter (held in a separate hermetically sealed, accessible only via air lock oxygen filled chamber) .
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean wild yeasts and oxygen aren't ruining your brew.

Berlin+Hospital+Prepares+Possible+Ebola+Cases+h0vT68j73VUl.jpg

Dave70 said:
Heres a candid photo taken from my brew house.
I like to have the room flooded and pressurized with CO2 to prevent any oxidization, hence the breathing apparatus.
We also see my assistant hosing me down with Starsan prior to shaking my yeast starter (held in a separate hermetically sealed, accessible only via air lock oxygen filled chamber) .
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean wild yeasts and oxygen aren't ruining your brew.

Berlin+Hospital+Prepares+Possible+Ebola+Cases+h0vT68j73VUl.jpg
I would hate to see what you have to do just to re-hydrate your yeast

Dave70 said:
accessible only via air lock oxygen filled chamber) .
Can't be a very good airlock, there are no kittens in there.

Yob said:
indeed there was, fun it was too, Im willing to accept that it probably does to a degree, however... how much of that makes it's way into the beer as DO was not put forward, and I guess that is the critical bit, if it's just in the headspace, WGAS right? if it contributes significantly to DO then it may be an issue.. but it doesnt seem to be so... carry on :lol:
It was fun...

I did use it to convince SWMBO that I needed SS fermenters. Thought I was in trouble when she pointed out that I must have been one lucky barstool to have brewed decent beer in plastic for so long. 'Just lucky I guess' was my winning argument

At least I thought it was a winning argument until I saw the credit card statement and the price she paid for the shoes that she 'needed' and realised that for every 'yes' I get for brewing equipment she gets a 'yes' for shoes / handbag / spa treatment :unsure:

Ducatiboy stu said:
I would hate to see what you have to do just to re-hydrate your yeast
I heard you're better off just adding it dry..

But in an ultraviolet irradiation sterilized vacuum chamber if you must know.

I used to use glad wrap... but now i've got so lazy i just loosely fit the fermenter lid on (one without an airlock hole)

Works good

I used to use glad wrap... but now i've got so lazy i just loosely fit the fermenter lid on (one without an airlock hole)

Works good
+1 (and I don't bother with the seal either).

I can see the headlines..

Thousands of Airlock makers now out of work. Airlock manufactures ask Government for industry assistance package

I've often pondered the merits of fermenting in the toilet bowl. With the lid down of course. Wouldn't want an infection.

When fermentation is done siphon out into bottles, have a crap, and flush everything away, turds, yeast cake and all.

A doctor told me once that urine is sterile, so I'd give the bowl a good rinse with this organic, self-produced no-rinse sanitiser.

Latest posts

Back