Gladwrap Air Lock.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well me and a mate did our first extract brew with a full boil the other night. It was kinda rushed and ended up finishing at 330 am.

In the rush i forgot to modify my new jerry can style fementers so they could use a air lock.

After this batch is bottled i will be adding the airlock thorugh somewhere on the top.

But At 330 am i was in a rush and thaught i could rember some guys on here using glad wrap losley over the opening rather than unsing a air lock. Soo that what way i went.

Everything seems ok i was just after some opionions on using this method.

I will be fixing this before the next brew. but just curious.

Thanks again guys. Cheers

Have you got an elastic band around the gladwrap or is it just sitting over the opening? As I understand it, the usual way is with the rubber seal from the fermenter holding on a piece of gladwrap (or that's what I use at least). That means that nothing can get in, but with enough pressure created from inside the CO2 can still escape.

I've used glad wrap and elastic on several lagers and ales in the last few months and never had a problem. Never took much notice of the airlock anyway, so now I get to actually see the krausen form.

nah no rubber band around it. its just shaped with my hand over the opening. its quite a small opening as its a jerry can type so i think it should be ok. ( its also in a cubard so no wind or anything in there.

You guys think its will be ok ??

Ill chuck a rubber band over it tongiht. I just didnt see how the air would excape if i had one on and i didnt want it to pop a whole in it.

The container defently isnt air tight atm.. so i hope that dosent matter..

thanks again guys.

I have use gladwrap with the rubber band around it on glass fermenters with a pinprick in the middle and all has worked well.

With the small opening in the jerry, you might get a seal that is too airtight, then the gladwrap will just pop off - I'd be inclined to replace it with a bit of alfoil and no rubber band. Scrunch the alfoil into the threads so you can be sure nothing is able to crawl up in there, but it wont be airtight and will therefore let the C02 escape. Santise the alfoil on the "beer" side though, just in case the krausen rises up high enough to touch it. Same with the gladwrap I guess.

edit - beaten by gavo who's pinprick idea achieves the same result.

Thanks for the replys guys.

its been in the fermenter since last monday night so i would say its starting to finish off now. ( planning on bottling next tues.) so in the mean time ill just place a looose rubber band around the glad wrap.

Its not actualy air getting in there thats the problem but bugs etc ??

Cheers

Thanks for the replys guys.

Its not actualy air getting in there thats the problem but bugs etc ??

Cheers

A bit of both really, the main value of an airlock provided that everything is sealed up well, is that at the end of a fermentation it ensures that the void above the brew is 100% CO2 which prevents oxidation and keeps the brew 'sterile' until it can be racked or bottled or kegged whatever. As the name suggests it's analogous to an airlock on a spacecraft ... keeps everything inside nice and cosy and all the horrible alien gases and lifeforms outside. :p I'm going to use cling wrap in the summer if I do some fridge brews as there's not enough headroom in my small fridge for an airlock.

On the fairly rare occasions that I ferment in a jerry, I use a baloon stretched over the opening. Using the long, thin ones are particularly humourous. :lol: . Seriously.

Oh ok.. i am and always where plannin on using a airlock. i ijust really hope this double batch is ok. Air could of gone inside but i woudnt think much alse could of.. Hope all is good..

i know some on here (Quintrex i think) just leave the actual lid of the jerry can on and ferment with that. every couple of hours/days just walk past and unscrew the cap a bit to let any c02 out 'vent it'

Mileage may vary depending on the yeast you use. I'm sure I've read, possibly even here somewhere, that some yeasts (an English Ale, perhaps?) are not very tolerant of top-pressure, so would probably not be a good choice for inflating phallic balloons.

Come to think of it, perhaps this is an inspired way of top cropping a highly enthusiastic yeast like 3787: sanitize the balloon, pop it over the cap and simply tie it off when it fills up with krausen. Adds new terror to the term "pitching".

T.
Disclaimer: this post is for entertainment use only. No yeast were harmed in the production of this post.

On the fairly rare occasions that I ferment in a jerry, I use a baloon stretched over the opening. Using the long, thin ones are particularly humourous. :lol: . Seriously.
Now THAT is a great idea!
There is no reason why a condom wouldn`t work as well.

staggalee.

Try explaining it to the Mrs when one drops out of your wallet.

That would be without.
My days as The Local Stud are but a memory :(

staggalee.

I only ever use gladwrap... its just too easy to say no...

Sponge

EDIT: *insert sexual connotation*

Back