Gladwrap Air Lock.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or a violet crumble wrapper and a stragically placed bit of sticky tape!

I too was a firm believer in glad wrap and rubber bands,but my child support is through the roof.Where does one attach the blow off tube :unsure:

Behind you mate, helps vent the excess gas from fermentation...

:)

Mileage may vary depending on the yeast you use. I'm sure I've read, possibly even here somewhere, that some yeasts (an English Ale, perhaps?) are not very tolerant of top-pressure, so would probably not be a good choice for inflating phallic balloons.
The TT yeast (WY1469) does not seem to like top pressure at all, a few years ago we sandgropers held a brewday in celebration of Kirems efforts at sourcing the strain from wyeast. People took 10L of wort home and fermented it with a sample of the yeast that I had cultured up, all but one noted very vigorous ferments. The one that did not ferment so well was fermented in a jerry can with either the lid on loosely or an airlock fitted (too long ago cant remember exactly), all of the other beers were fermented in either a standard barrel or pail fermenter and the less top pressure the better was the general consensus.

Well went home last night to put on a rubber band and found one of the fementers glad wrap lids had fallen off.. soo after allot of swearing i have found the gladwrap lid down behind the fementer with stains of froth all over it.. sooo the fementer could of sat in the unopened cubard for 5 days without a lid on..... i quickly replaced with a new piece of glad wrap and am hoping for the best...

what you guys recon the odds are of it comming out ok ???

will a smel/taste be noticable on bottle day if a infection has occoured ??

Thanks again guys.,

I used to use glad wrap held on the fermenter with the big o-ring from the fermenter lid.

I did this purely to see what was going on. I had an old Wander fermenter with a solid blue lid.

Back