Gladfield Light Lager - IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeyr

" wait.. I had something for this.."
Reaction score
Ended up with more Lager & Pilsner Malt than i really need.

What do you reckon on the outcome substituting my usual Pale Malt with Lager Malt and tweaking the profile with a bit extra Crystal, Light and Dark??

Anyone done anything similar or am I finally going mad!

Cheers

Mike

Just use it the same way you would ale malt. 95% pils and 5% crystal and load her up with hops. Heck,you could leave out the crystal for a nice golden IPA.

If you happen to have any MO just do a 50/50 MO and Pils....delicious

What's your hop plan?

I'm sure I've seen a fair few APA recipes on here using Pilsner malt. You could grab some lager yeast go all out and try an IPL.

Mate congrats on the new house .... did you go Newky? or still CC?

Got some Golden promise, might mix it up a bit.

Been working on the same brew from the swap and nailed it (for my palette). Was drinking Lagunita IPA in the states and gave me a few ideas!

Chinook and Simcoe to 57 IBU and small amounts from 30m to flame out.

Drank a keg (with help) way to fast ...... and yeah thanks (yours and Barls fault) .... i'm now kegging

paulyman said:
I'm sure I've seen a fair few APA recipes on here using Pilsner malt. You could grab some lager yeast go all out and try an IPL.
thats just messing with my head .... hmmmm double batch and split it .... cube the lager i have in the frementer, recycle the yeast ..... oh bugger there goes Saturday

Mikeyr said:

Been working on the same brew from the swap and nailed it (for my palette). Was drinking Lagunita IPA in the states and gave me a few ideas!

Drank a keg (with help) way to fast ...... and yeah thanks (yours and Barls fault) .... i'm now kegging
what did i do?
honestly i don't remember

I have one fermenting at the moment, cheating though as its a fresh wort kit Rye IPA. Have my first marzen going so thought I'd chuck it in the fermenting fridge at the same time with a lager yeast instead of the WLP099 I planned to throw at it. Can't wait to try it, will call it a RyePL.

Mikeyr said:

Thanks Mikey, were still the coast, we found a place in Bateau Bay.

An even split the Gp/pils will be perfect and those hops.....simcoe and Chinook.....so good!

How good is kegging?

barls said:
what did i do?
honestly i don't remember
You hosted the swap, commented i knew how to pour a beer from a tap(spent 12 yrs at Lion, probably should!), had bloody good beer on the tap ..... and then showed me your set up .... you're a closet supplier man! A facilitator :D

Just convinced myself to hang on to the Keg King fridge i bought as a proof of concept .... it's now going to the shack for Christmas ...... anyone in Patonga over the hols.... better bring a glass!

Now for the chest freezer

Pratty1 said:
Thanks Mikey, were still the coast, we found a place in Bateau Bay.

An even split the Gp/pils will be perfect and those hops.....simcoe and Chinook.....so good!

How good is kegging?
Mate love it, Bateau Bay ...nice!

We're going to do Chrissie at Patonga .... plan on a "day at the beach" if you're around!

Mikeyr said:
You hosted the swap, commented i knew how to pour a beer from a tap(spent 12 yrs at Lion, probably should!), had bloody good beer on the tap ..... and then showed me your set up .... you're a closet supplier man! A facilitator :D

Just convinced myself to hang on to the Keg King fridge i bought as a proof of concept .... it's now going to the shack for Christmas ...... anyone in Patonga over the hols.... better bring a glass!

Now for the chest freezer
oh just that.
welcome to the slippery slope.

Back