Ginger Beer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber1975

Reaction score
The ginger beer I just put down has finished fermenting and smells and tastes joy. It is just a little murky my question is will finings clear it out? I don't really give a crap what it looks like as long as after it is carbed that it still has the spicy bite and flavour it has at the moment. I just dont want mates turning their noses up if I offer them a drink and pour them a murky GB.

So I suppose what I am asking is would it be worth my while banging in some finings tommorrow and bottling in a couple of days?

The ginger beer I just put down has finished fermenting and smells and tastes joy. It is just a little murky my question is will finings clear it out? I don't really give a crap what it looks like as long as after it is carbed that it still has the spicy bite and flavour it has at the moment. I just dont want mates turning their noses up if I offer them a drink and pour them a murky GB.

So I suppose what I am asking is would it be worth my while banging in some finings tommorrow and bottling in a couple of days?

Yep. Finnings will work fine. I've done it before in the past. It does clear the GB up and it presents much better imo.

Have you guys ever drunk ginger beer before?

What recipe did you use? I want to try making an alcoholic GB as well as a non-alcohilic one. There's lots of recipes out there, as well as a bit of confusion in regards to sweetness, strength, etc. Thanks.

Yep finings will clear it no probs.
I prefer it cloudy myself though .... reminds me of the stuff my gran used to make!
(She had a 'plant' she used to feed ginger every night .... a bit creepy really!)

I guess what I was getting at (via the deft application of rhetoric) was that ginger beers are cloudy. Supposed to be cloudy.

I guess what I was getting at (via the deft application of rhetoric) was that ginger beers are cloudy. Supposed to be cloudy.

Yeah Cheers I figured that, just wanted to know if I threw in some finings if it would clear it out.
In the end I couldn't be arsed. I bottled it today, I had to seeing as I am heading back off to work on Saturday and I have the kids with me tomorrow. 42 degrees bottling beers I tell you what I don't think I will bother putting down any beers during summer next year if I don't have a keg system set up. I reckon I lost 5 Kgs of sweat in the shed. The GB smelt awesome, maybe all the sweat pouring off me and into the bottles will give it a bit of extra bite. :D

And Parrothead, I don't know how this will turn out but it smelt good and tasted nice during my Hydrometer checks. I am an absolute novice so whatever I have done if it has worked well it is not because of a wealth of knowledge on my part. (apart from the knowledge imparted on my by reading this website)
The recipe was pretty close to the Powderkeg GB on the Recipe DB except with out the spirits ( SWMBO is a messy drunk and struggles the next day after a big one) so I thought it would be best to keep the alcohol content down. :p

So I used:
1 Coopers kit
1 Buderim Ginger Refresher Cordial
250gm Dark Brown Sugar
1Kg Dextrose
And some extra ground ginger ( couldn't really tell you how much I just shook a whole heap in)

SG 1032
FG 998

4.9%

I will post on here when I start cracking the bottles and knocking the froth off a couple.

Next two attempts when I get back from work are going to be the Tony's Extract LCBA clone and Neil's Centenarillo Ale can hardly wait and have definitely been bitten by the bug

Yeah Cheers I figured that, just wanted to know if I threw in some finings if it would clear it out.
In the end I couldn't be arsed. I bottled it today, I had to seeing as I am heading back off to work on Saturday and I have the kids with me tomorrow. 42 degrees bottling beers I tell you what I don't think I will bother putting down any beers during summer next year if I don't have a keg system set up. I reckon I lost 5 Kgs of sweat in the shed. The GB smelt awesome, maybe all the sweat pouring off me and into the bottles will give it a bit of extra bite. :D

And Parrothead, I don't know how this will turn out but it smelt good and tasted nice during my Hydrometer checks. I am an absolute novice so whatever I have done if it has worked well it is not because of a wealth of knowledge on my part. (apart from the knowledge imparted on my by reading this website)
The recipe was pretty close to the Powderkeg GB on the Recipe DB except with out the spirits ( SWMBO is a messy drunk and struggles the next day after a big one) so I thought it would be best to keep the alcohol content down. :p

So I used:
1 Coopers kit
1 Buderim Ginger Refresher Cordial
250gm Dark Brown Sugar
1Kg Dextrose
And some extra ground ginger ( couldn't really tell you how much I just shook a whole heap in)

SG 1032
FG 998

4.9%

I will post on here when I start cracking the bottles and knocking the froth off a couple.

Next two attempts when I get back from work are going to be the Tony's Extract LCBA clone and Neil's Centenarillo Ale can hardly wait and have definitely been bitten by the bug

Thanks Bomber, but I was afraid you'd say that you used a kit. I say that because we can't get ginger beer kits here in the States, not just Coopers but anybody's. Something about a sweetener thats used in them isn't approved for consumption here. Another example of my government "protecting me". <_< I'll just have to make a GB from scratch. Looking forward to making Neil's Centenarillo Ale too.

The coopers gb kit has always worked fine for me. I've always used the kit yeast so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like with proper yeast next time I brew it. Most of mine have just been the can & 1kg raw sugar. I grated 500g ginger for my latest batch but didn't notice a massive gingery difference so I reckon I'll save $15 and not bother next time. I reckon I will add some dex next time to kick the alc up a bit. I'm sure there's non kit recipes on here somewhere if you can't get kits in the states. Is the US government suggesting that ginger beer is dangerous but owning firearms is perfectly safe? Seems a bit odd to me.

Is the US government suggesting that ginger beer is dangerous but owning firearms is perfectly safe? Seems a bit odd to me.

Oh geez, don't get me started! :blink: We have a saying that goes "Hi. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

I grated 500g ginger for my latest batch but didn't notice a massive gingery difference

Did you boil it up first or just bung it in the fermenter? You really need to boil it for a good while to extract the most gingery goodness. I boil for an hour or so usually. I only ask because 500g really should be enough to notice a difference.

Did you boil it up first or just bung it in the fermenter? You really need to boil it for a good while to extract the most gingery goodness. I boil for an hour or so usually. I only ask because 500g really should be enough to notice a difference.

I boiled it for 10 min but it sounds like I should've given it longer. I've got a suspicion that if I did 2 batches at the same time, 1 with the extra ginger and 1 without I would notice a difference. I probably hadn't brewed it for over 2 years until this batch. Slightly off topic but does anyone have a recommendation for yeast for the coopers ginger beer? I'm sure anything is better than the kit yeast

I start some boiling water and then throw in the ginger. If it's in there for more than an hour. Good on the ginger king.

Lucky you can make more huh?

Back