Gidday From Alaska

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you're enjoying it there!

Be sure to drink all the US beer while you can, as its hard to get anywhere out of the states. Even over here the only decent brewers that distribute to the UK are Sierra Nevada, Anchor and Rogue. A couple Brooklyn and Victory beers make it over occasionally too.

kook said:
Be sure to drink all the US beer while you can, as its hard to get anywhere out of the states.
[post="58293"][/post]​

Anybody know why this is the case?

You'd think that the stronger Oz vs. US dollar would change things given the relatively low retail price in the US of Micro beers as well.

Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of those gems hitting our shores. Picking they'd be pretty popular too.

Warren -

Looks like the Drunk Arab might leave his pay packet in Alaska, what an awesome selection!

Looking forward to more reviews.

tdh

Linz,
I could taste DMS in a lot of the beers in the US. I can also taste it quite strong in James Squire Golden ale.
Maybe I am sensitive to it. I think it more that when you have tasted and recognised it once it stands out like dogs b@lls from then on.
I did enjoy the SNPA though.
cheers
Darren

Totally agree Darren

Cant wait to get down that way to give Jayse a BIG hug!!

Going to Melbourne for the beer Festival???? The closest to drink "fresh" Yankie beer on these shores??

See you there from the Thursday arvo

Dang.. I'll let the thread get back to where it belongs

Hi TDA,
glad to here you are enjoyong it there and trying a lot of beers.
Met any homebrewers yet?
It sounds like a great place to make lots of lagers.

cheers
johnno

Hi again,

Darren, I honestly cannot detect the slightest amount of DMS in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I have tried a few now. Very fruity on the nose to me.

Have been trying a few more of the US beers and here is a quick rundown from my perspective.

Bridgeport ESB-rich malt driven yet still firm bitterness, very quaffable.

Bridgeport IPA-awesome hop nose and great refreshing bitterness, excellent drop :super:

Rouge Dead Guy- fairly solid ale with no outstanding aromas or flavours, good as a session beer IMO.

PICT0150.JPG

johnno, haven't run into a single homebrewer whatsoever. Plenty of fisherman though :) !

Deschutes Black Butte Porter- Subtle chocolate aromas and flavours, some roastiness.

Full Sail Amber- this beer is really full bodied and extremely well balanced. Awesome beer.

Sierra Nevada Porter- not tasted yet!

PICT0149.JPG

My fellow workers are now preparing to leave Sand Point, Alaska. They are all happy.

Here is a final picture sent from 'the office' which is actually a 3 bedroom house/dive.

I was involved in most of the cartons on the right hand side of the beams. :beerbang:

C&B
TDA

Beer_office.jpg

Latest posts

Back