Ghost in the airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a bubbling airlock after 12 days.

Got the same hydro reading Saturday and today, being Tuesday. Keen to bottle tomorrow night, day13....am away at Christmas, trying to get another two bathed down before I head off.

It is a Belgian wit, used wyeast 3944...has behaved a bit odd, bit sluggish which I've read is fairly common for the strain, and a couple of other things.

I realise airlock action isn't your key indicator for where your fermentation is, I'm just yet to see it still going after terminal gravity is reached....but stable reading 3 days apart tells me I'm done.

Should I go ahead and bottle?

Cheers

If expected FG has been reached and stable for 3 days then it should be fine to bottle. Temperature changes can also cause CO2 to come out of solution and bubble through the airlock.

Also, all good brewers know that kittens go in airlocks, not ghosts. :ph34r:

Edit: beaten by Stu with an kitten reference becuase I thought I should also put something useful in my answer

3 points off expected fg...can't see it dropping after near two weeks though.

How does one fit a kitten in an airlock? Pigmy kitten?

Have you tasted it ( the beer, not the kitten )

Bubbling airlocks can be a sign of infection

Yep tastes pretty good. It's my first all grain wit, funnily enough doesn't taste as good as my partial wits did

Ducatiboy stu said:
Practice.

White kittens are best
Only if you rehydrate them AFTER inserting them in the airlock.. :p

Ducatiboy stu said:
Have you tasted it ( the beer, not the kitten )

Bubbling airlocks can be a sign of infection
You're a shit, Stu! :lol:

Goodbeer said:
Can you feel the length of one leg increasing?

Latest posts

Back