Ghetto Alcopops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I have never tasted it, I can;t describe the smell but yuk.

google bucket still, it will be heaps better than straight wash.

QldKev

If you want to make a wash and then carbon filter , when fermenting keep cool the super 6 yeast will still work at 15 degrees and put more water to get less %alcohol and cleaner taste.

Yeah, cool seems to be the way to go. Another good reason to use a smaller fermenter.

I'm thinking the taste shouldn't be too hot. Afterall it is only 10 % - not much higher than beer. Hell just googled cruisers and they are only 4.8 %. 1 bag of dex should do 5 % plus. If I use nutrients I can't think of any bad flavours that will come out - especially if I use a neutral flavoured yeast.

You could then use ice distillation, aka like an eisbock to get a higher ABV without regular distilling (which is both illegal and out of forum guidelines) :)

Or just brink good beer, you cheap pisspot. :lol:

If you want a nicely drinkable derro alcopop, around 7 % abv make yourself a basic ginger beer thus:

3kg White sugar
50g Ginger powder (from an Asian Store)
yeast nutrient
Champagne yeast

Ferment out to dryness for ten days.

Bottle condition (2L PET does the job fine)

It tastes like a dead Vulture's armpit but surprisingly:

To serve:

• Crushed ice
  • Bickfords or Buderim Ginger beer cordial
  • Crushed mint leaves
  • Cocktail Umbrella
  • etc

And it goes down nicely and stays there B)

Just to 20l Bribie?

I made a cider version that is still aging...

You could then use ice distillation, aka like an eisbock to get a higher ABV without regular distilling (which is both illegal and out of forum guidelines) :)

Technically so is ice distilling...

The legislation that covers regular distilling also disallows ice distilling. Actually it covers any method of increasing alcoholic strength by removing water.

That eisbock of yours could get you into trouble. If you have any, you should send it all to me so the cops don't find it at your place...

I'm a bit leery of ice distillation. It sounds like a recipe for a hangover to me.

I just want carbonated alcowater. =)

40 litres of apple juice + 10 kilos of sugar + champagne yeast = centrelink special and a mate's booze sorted for the next three months

The legislation that covers regular distilling also disallows ice distilling. Actually it covers any method of increasing alcoholic strength by removing water.

Do you know how the act specifically defines the term distillation ? I would have thought that the term refers to a separation by condensation, which would exclude the eisbock method

That eisbock of yours could get you into trouble. If you have any, you should send it all to me so the cops don't find it at your place...

No, I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. I had better dispose of it thoughtfully :chug:

Honestly, I have never done one, but one day down the track I might give it a go. Happy with regular strength beer for now.

Haha! The one from C J J Berry?

I'm thinking the potatoes are flavour purifiers rather than adding anything of their own. I'd swap the sugar out for dextrose too. =)

yeh thats the one.. Im thinking the potatoes will add more fermentables (as the starch is converted with the enzyme), and raise the alcohol levels..

I found a recipe will surfing the net for sweet potato wine.. sounds interesting

It does. The Japanese sweet potato shouchuu was pretty damn nice. It's distilled (though only to 25%). Sweet potato wine (if it's at all similar) would be well worth a try. The carrot wine looks interesting - especially when you consider the price of those large 5kg carrot bags.

I'm thinking I might add some citrus juice to the must/wort. Apparently the yeast will like the acidty and I'll get better flavours. The Juice of 10 lemons perhaps.

Latest posts

Back