Getting Yeasties To Get Funky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been trying to find out what makes yeasties reproduce in their starters. How can I promote reproduction as opposed to fermentation in my starter, any clues, guys?

By the way, yeasties reproduce asexually, so the title doesn't make sense but i can't help shameless innuendo.

Oxygenate the wort. That will promote reproduction.

You will always get fermentation....thats just part of the process...Alcohol is a by product of yeast..its basically there poo...

Basically your starter is just a beer....its just that you started with only a few yeast cells...and as they reproduced, they consumed the starter.....just like a fermenter....well actually the same...

Your starter vessel is a scaled down fermenter...

:lol: Nexttime you open your firmenter..... imagine this

cheers

MrHanky_702515.jpg

Yeah, which explains why yeast can't survive in high alcohol environments - neither would you if you swam in your own poo.

By the way, just read something that said fermentation is yeast's way of surviving where there is no oxygen (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6.html).

Brewer's Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) is considered to be a type of fungus. It reproduces asexually by budding- splitting off little daughter cells. Yeast are unusual in that they can live and grow both with or without oxygen. Most micro-organisms can only do one or the other. Yeast can live without oxygen by a process that we refer to as fermentation. The yeast cells take in simple sugars like glucose and maltose and produce carbon dioxide and alcohol as waste products.

So basically, they'll stop reproducing when there's no oxygen (hope i got that right). So by keeping it oxygenated it will turn more of the energy in the sugars into reproduction rather than alcohol.

Does this sound right?

Yeah, which explains why yeast can't survive in high alcohol environments - neither would you if you swam in your own poo.

By the way, just read something that said fermentation is yeast's way of surviving where there is no oxygen (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6.html).

So basically, they'll stop reproducing when there's no oxygen (hope i got that right). So by keeping it oxygenated it will turn more of the energy in the sugars into reproduction rather than alcohol.

Does this sound right?

Yep,

Pretty close to how I see it too. If you want some funkiness, pitch low or ferment high - either of these will stress the yeast giving you some of their byproducts.

Mick

Back