Getting very close to AG...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. Nah, haven't got the burner as yet or any insultating material/lid. I'll have a go once I get the burner and fit a lid, and see how much it drops over an hour. Then, I'll try insulating with one of those foam camping mats if need be, otherwise I'll go for mashing in the esky.

Mates of mine used to mash in a keggle with just a lid and no insulation. No dramas. Only dropped a couple of degrees over the hour. That bag of grains going to be bloody hot to handle when you're trying to drag if out of that hole so probably add a pear of gloves to your list!
Cheers
Steve

Maybe, if the opening will allow it, you could use a crab cooker insert to hold the bag. Or cut/drill holes in a pot that will fit.
Obviously give it a go as is, but if removing the bag proves difficult, it could be an option.

I don't know.

slcmorro said:
Is there anything I am missing other than a mill
A thermometer.
Better still, two.
With spare batteries.

Dave70 said:
A thermometer.
Better still, two.
With spare batteries.
Definitely this. Discovered my thermometer was dodgy during my last brew. Looking like ending up with a very sweet red ale after mashing at a random temp.

Any old large pot lid will do it (for mashing in a bag in your keggle). And for insulation, just a sleeping bag draped over will be fine. But I don't know how the hell you are going to get out the bag (swollen with 5kg of water absorbed grain) through that small opening.

I'd be mashing in the esky with the bag, but don't try to drain through the bag and the bung hole, just lift and squeeze the bag first then drain. You can think about a false bottom instead down the track if you like.

I do my stove top batches by mashing in an esky with a bag. I find it great as can batch sparge using this method and don't have to worry about wrapping anything up for insulation.
I just poor my first runnings into an empty fermentor while the pot still has water in it. Also means I can first wort hop.

Your suggested method is almost the same as the esky and bag combo I use, but on a bit of a larger scale.

I use a stainless braid from a hose for a manifold in my esky. It was supposed to only see me through for a brew or two until I made it down to BeerBelly for a falsie. I never got around to getting the falsie, and the braid is still rockin' many brews later. A cheap option if you want me to post a pic when I get home.

I found a lit that is almost a perfect fit. Has a tiny tiny little gap around one side, but that's no biggie.

Please do post a pic, Phillo.

As Bum said however, I might need to look into doing a sparge to get my pre boil volume if I go down the esky path.

headfreak said:
Definitely this. Discovered my thermometer was dodgy during my last brew. Looking like ending up with a very sweet red ale after mashing at a random temp.
I used the hombrewing urban myth when this happened to me once of making the mash water hot enough that you can just stand sticking you finger in and out.
Cant remember where I heard that one but it turned out OK (ish). Except for my finger.

Dave70 said:
I used the hombrewing urban myth when this happened to me once of making the mash water hot enough that you can just stand sticking you finger in and out.
Cant remember where I heard that one but it turned out OK (ish). Except for my finger.
You could do it old style and get half your strike water to exactly skin temperature, around 36 - this is easier to measure. Add the other half boiling water and this will get you to 68 degrees - (100 + 36) / 2. A bit more boiling water will get you strike to around 70, about right for a full volume mah.

Edited as my math sucks.

slcmorro said:
I found a lit that is almost a perfect fit. Has a tiny tiny little gap around one side, but that's no biggie.

Please do post a pic, Phillo.

As Bum said however, I might need to look into doing a sparge to get my pre boil volume if I go down the esky path.
This is the inside of my esky mash tun before its maiden voyage (the rest of the brew day is documented somewhere over on the Coopers forum).

9d9d.jpg

Piece of cake really. I just use a stainless fitting to weigh the end down. I honestly can't believe how long this thing seems to be lasting.

BTW, I always sparge. Even when I was BIABing.

No reason whatsoever not to use your bag in the esky. If you do though you might as well recirc and sparge too. Just treat it the same as a manifold and leave it in till the mash is done. Best other alternative is single vessel biab, full volume in the kettle/keggle. As Steve suggests it is a method you're comfortable with. An old doonah or sleeping bag for insulation will see you right along with some kind of lid
Losing a couple of degrees is not the end of the world.. Nothing's perfect first time around but it is fun.

After your 60 min mash you re-circulate the wort a few times back into the mash until the wort runs clear. You then start draining this into your keggle to boil.

Edit. This re-circulating is called sparging.

Thought sparging was rinsing the grains, not the recirculation.

Latest posts

Back