Getting The Colour Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
been playing around for a while with a xxxx gold clone, yeah it tastes better so i shouldn't be worried but been getting annoyed
with the colour. one version too pale , the other too golden, have tried carared, carahell, caramunich, cara everything else but just can't get the authentic colour without blowing out the sweetness. the lastest attemt is 50gm of caramunich 3
taste is good so colour without flavour bending is my goal.
any clues? recipe is mainly bb ale with cluster at 60 and 10 ibu at 20

Why are you trying to clone xxxx gold?

Wraith

Try maybe a tiny bit of Carafa or roast barley or something like that. If you're getting the right flavour from the crystal that you're using already that might be the way to go.

I have a tub of Briess Pure black that MHB gave me as a sample. It's like Weyermann Sinnamar but a dried powder - colour without flavouring - pm me your addy and I'll send you a snaplock with enough for a couple of brews.

I hit the colour perfectly just using BB Ale. No spec malts. I do boil high gravity though, so that probably adds a bit of colour.

Why are you trying to clone xxxx gold?

Wraith
to keep the masses happy, i like to have a lager on hand for people that don't like hoppy beers.
personally i'm more into dsga and my own version of pacific ale.

I have a tub of Briess Pure black that MHB gave me as a sample. It's like Weyermann Sinnamar but a dried powder - colour without flavouring - pm me your addy and I'll send you a snaplock with enough for a couple of brews.
cheers, thanks bribie, pm sent

Latest posts

Back