Getting The Basics Straight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maltedhopalong said:
but if anyone has a good reference they want to share, that would be greatly appreciated.

The best beginners book in existence can be read online here:www.howtobrew.com
The online version is the 1st edition, the printed pay-for version is 3rd edition, your local HBS might even have it.
Starts with Extract brews, then moves on to Partials, then All-grain. Happy reading :)

EDIT: after clicking 'Enter', go to the Site Map for a contents page.

For a few weeks after I bottled it, it was disappointing - doubly so because I was trying to prove that all I had learned over the past few months would make a better kit beer.
I'm now drinking it with about two months of bottle age and it is a *very nice beer*.
Moral: We All-Grain Brewers will continue to have fun at kit brewers' expense, but you will grow to make lots of very good beer regardless of whether you stay with tins or move over to The Dark Side. Just brew lots, ask questions lots and send me one bottle of everything you brew for analysis.

Spills, you are smarter than most.

Except you forgot to put your address in your comments.

Australia Post has a backlog of beer bottles waiting to re address to you.

Sadly, now, all are empty.

Sorry.

Having done around 40 grain brews over the past few months, I set about making a kit beer late last year. I've tried some kit beers from experienced kit brewers via the case swaps and was very impressed.

I bought the same kit I brewed when I was first brewing kits - a Coopers Pale Ale. I added malt extract and a litre of hefe wort I'd frozen and saved for a rainy yeast starter day. I added a little Amarillo and fermented it with US-05 in my fridge.

For a few weeks after I bottled it, it was disappointing - doubly so because I was trying to prove that all I had learned over the past few months would make a better kit beer.

I'm now drinking it with about two months of bottle age and it is a *very nice beer*.

Moral: We All-Grain Brewers will continue to have fun at kit brewers' expense, but you will grow to make lots of very good beer regardless of whether you stay with tins or move over to The Dark Side. Just brew lots, ask questions lots and send me one bottle of everything you brew for analysis.

Spills,

I think you wrapped it up nicely in your post. The kit did not taste good after a few weeks (all-grain version probably would have been good after a week). The kit was a *very nice beer* after two months by which time the AG would have been great :D

cheers

Darren

The Dark Side..........I reckon nowdays.......Kitbrewers shold be classed on the DarkSide.

Full Mash Boys should be Darth Vader. Partial Boys should be Luuuuuke.

Darth to Luke......you are my Son!!!! :ph34r:

The Dark Side..........I reckon nowdays.......Kitbrewers shold be classed on the DarkSide.

Full Mash Boys should be Darth Vader. Partial Boys should be Luuuuuke.

Darth to Luke......you are my Son!!!! :ph34r:

Feel like a Ewok, look like Jabba the Hut

ewok.jpg

jabba.jpg

Latest posts

Back