Getting a mate into brewing...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha05

Reaction score
Saturday night i'm introducing a mate to homebrewing. He is pretty keen to have a crack. He is a Carlton Draught drinker (hopefully that will change).
So i was thinking on starting him off on the following:

Coopers Draught
BE2
500gms Light dry malt
Kit yeast
23ltrs

Now i have 100gms each of the following: Galaxy, Cascade, Saaz & Hallertau

I was thinking 10-15gms of something for 10 minutes to add a bit of aroma/flavour

Any suggestions which one would suit?

Cheers in advance

Looks good to me but don't use the kit yeast. Grab an SO4. It will also take some ageing, about 2 months will be the sweet spot.

Charlie Miso said:
Ask them to have a smell and see what they want to end up in the beer
First time I smelt hops, I didnt know whether to smoke them or use them in the beer

Bastow said:
Looks good to me but don't use the kit yeast. Grab an SO4. It will also take some ageing, about 2 months will be the sweet spot.
I have a golden ale on US-05 im going to re-pitch some of this into his brew. I have a fish tank heater he will use to hold temps at 18 deg.
Trying to show him some of the little things we all do to make a kit beer better.

unless he's tried one of your tasty hopped ales and liked it I would probably stick to your recipe with out any hop additions to keep the result closer to what his pallet is used to tasting then introduce him to the wonders of hop flavour and aroma later.

+1 for upgraded yeast. S04 or US05 would be a good call.

I think a 12g Cascade or Galaxy dry hop would be good for a bit of aroma without being overpowering to a Carlton drinker.

Yeah was thinking cascade or galaxy. He drinks pale ales, so he is not strictly a generice megaswill drinker. Always keen to try different beers. But his fall back is Carlton Draught.
So was aiming something tasty and with a bit of aroma that he can be happy to drink. He seems pretty keen, just bought all the ingrediants and couldnt believe how cheap it was. Think i may have turned him to the darkside already.

i'd use a small amount 10-15gm of cascade for aroma. he would have tasted/smelled it before in pale ales so would be closer to his knowledge of hops/flavours (in my opinion of course).

having said that, when introducing my mates to my homebrews, they only seem/ed to like my beers with noble hop flavours as they all drink european-style lagers so that might work also with a wee bit of hallertau.

I'd say work with what you have and maybe chuck 10g of saaz in for a 10min addition..

It will be subtle, but worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back