Gelatine Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day men,
I've been reading a few posts about using gelatine to clear your beer. I've added it directly to the keg prior to filling with success. In fact I've found it clearer doing this than filtering. I was wondering if anyone adds gelatine to the fermenter prior to dropping the temp? Can this be done? Is it better than adding to the keg? I've had a couple of blockages from it getting stuck in the lines. And if people are adding it to the fermenter, how much are they using?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cadbury

Have been adding gelatin to my beer for the last 15 years or so.
I normally add it a the racking stage but you could also add it at the start of fermentation if you wish.
Make sure it fully dissolved first though. The best way to get it to dissolve is to add some cold water (from the frigde is best) just enough to cover it, then let is stand for about 15 minutes. The gelatin will expand significantly. After that add boiling water from the kettle and stirr for several mintues. I normally put it into the bottom of the fermenter and put the racked beer (or wort) in on top.

Hi Cadbury,
I use gelatine to clear my beer and get good results. My process is to chill the beer first while still in primary fermenter to about 1-2c as it is suggested to add gelatine as cold as possible. I then cold condition the ale for about 3-7 days, rack it to a secondary bottling bucket keg 19L of it, add desired bulk priming for the remaining 5L (I tend to brew in 24L batches to have a few in bottles also) and enjoy clear sediment free beer.

I would choose give it a bit more time to let it settle after fermenation and preffer to cold condition before kegging as as to remove the maximum sediment. I am currently finishing fermenting a lager at 10c and am thinking of adding gelatine when i start lagering it at 2c. This should hopefully aid and accelerate the largering process. I also am in no rush to keg any of my beers as they always benefit from a bit of largering/cold conditioning to improve flavour, young beers never seem to taste as good as giving it a bit of time on the cold in fermenter or keg.

Cheers
Brett

My process.
Rack after fermentation complete, store in fridge until temp 1-2c. Normally 1 day at least. Mix 1 tsp gelatin with 1 cup boiling water, dissolve, pitch into fermentor while still in fridge & stir. Leave for 2 days longer at least. Keg/bottle.
Cheers

Thanks guys. That info is exactly what I am after.
Cadbury

I always add once ferment is finished and the beer chilled. Usually 2 tspn mixed well in cup boiling water, then just pour slowly over the top - I don't stir. Lately I've been racking after it's chilled for a day and add the gelatine then. A few days later it's into the keg.

Latest posts

Back