G'DAY

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane10

Reaction score
Hi guys,
just getting back into brewing again. looking at doin some kegging this time. got most of the gear now and first brew down.
one question I would like to ask though is I've had this brew down now for bout 24hrs( dark ale) and the airlock is bubbling like crazy, so crazy infact that it keeps blowing the water out of the air lock and blowing bubbles, how normal is this? any info would be greatly appreciated
cheers

That's normal...you could remove the lid and put a couple of layers of gladwarp over the fermenter and use the o-ring from the lid as a elastic band holding the glad wrap in place

Take the airlock out, piff it in the bin.. Get some gladwrap over the top, take the rubber ring out of the lid and use to secure the gladwrap.. No further problems with the airlock

All sounds pretty normal and healthy

Good luck

• so I don't need to leave anywhere for pressure to escape, just leave it totally sealed up?

The pressure will escape, no problems. You may notice a slight doming of the gladwrap but it doesn't need a hole.

The new style Coopers fermenters don't have an airlock, the gas finds it's own way out.

As above, but I would be reluctant to take the lid off while this brew is fermenting. Do the change for your next brew.

With this one, just take the airlock out, clean it, add some more water to it an put it back. Repeat if necessary.

you dont dry hop BDD?

as long as you arent sneezing into it, shouldnt be a drama..

Black Devil Dog said:
As above, but I would be reluctant to take the lid off while this brew is fermenting. Do the change for your next brew.

With this one, just take the airlock out, clean it, add some more sterile water to it an put it back. Repeat if necessary.
FTFY

Sure do. But I wouldn't go changing my lid to gladwrap mid brew, when a simple procedure like the one I pointed out would suffice.

Ive had to replace glad wrap a number of times without issue, once (at least once, probably more) was a vigorous ferment that blew the whole glad wrap off, was probably like that for a few days before I noticed and replaced it. (was in a fridge though).. did I worry? sure did, was it an issue to the beer? nope... not ideal but wasnt the end of the world either.

Either or, :)

Another suggestion that I did was to get some plastic hose similar to CO2 gas line and place one end in the airlock gasket and the other in a pale of water so it's submerged. This way the fermentation can go off and all it will do is blow bubbles.

Back