GDay... My name is Stu and i love beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borntobattle

Reaction score
Gday fellow beer beer lovers..

My name is Stu and I'm new to brewing. I am a massive beer lover and i am stoked that i have taken the step into brewing my own goodness..
I have put my first can brew down (Morgans Australian Larger) on Monday 1/8/16 and now it 7/8/16.
I'm just a bit worried about the clarity of the beer when i test it (cloudy). My brew also has heaps of bubbles and I am worried about bottling. last 2 tests with my hydrometer were around 1013.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Stu.

My name isn't stu but I love beer too, the beer will clear in time and from the reading and bubbles I can tell you it's not ready to bottle yet, leave it for another week and test again!

Hi Stu,

If your last two tests have been stable, then it's done. Bottle it & don't worry. 1013 is a little high, but over time, you'll nail it.

Make another...& another. The way to learn is to do lots of batches. Learn from the differences.

Have fun with it.

Welcome to the vortex!!!

Martin

Yeh bloody cheers hey.. I'll do another test tomorrow and if it's the same I'll go ahead with it. If it is still at 1013 what would explain the high reading?

Welcome to AHB Stu.

Don't worry about your beers clarity as your yeast will take some time to clean up your beer. Personally leave my beer for at least two weeks to give the yeast time to clean up the brew. Also, a bit of cloudiness is fine.
Just leave it alone and bottle after two weeks and leave the bottled beer alone for at least a month to give it time to age a bit.

Making beer takes time and you have to step back and let the yeast do its magic at a stable temperature.

Enjoy the process, accept failure and learn from them, it will make you a much better brewer.

Borntobattle said:
Yeh bloody cheers hey.. I'll do another test tomorrow and if it's the same I'll go ahead with it. If it is still at 1013 what would explain the high reading?
You would have to tell us the other ingredients that went in the brew with the kit Stu. Some brew enhancers have a fair bit of Maltodextrin that does not ferment out which causes the final gravity to be a couple of points higher than expected. Ideally your brew should be closer to 1010. As with others I usually leave mine in the fermenter for a second week as it does improve the brew.

Some great tips for newbies on this thread:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/9233-frequently-asked-questions-for-the-new-brewer/

And of course, welcome aboard Stu!

Hi Stu and welcome. As stated leave brew for 14 days to allow fermentation and "clean up" to occur. I generally run two fermenters a week apart so as to allow some maturity if bottling and ensuring stock. I know it's hard but just have patience at first and buy your grog for a couple of weeks.
Cheers

Yeh thanks everyone for the awesome info .. I'll leave it for another week Cheers

Whoa, fuzzuk, I love beer too! Put your best boots on, this slope is slippery.

If you try to learn a bit as you go and stick with it for more than a few brews, in no time you'll be brewing beer you won't want to stop drinking. Welcome. And yeah, leave it for up to 2 weeks to clear if you want. The hydrometer is your commander (well, actually the yeast is, but the hydro gives you an idea of what it's doing). I'd say three readings the same as opposed to two. Just wait for a few similar readings to bottle, and if you want to leave it a bit to clear no harm will be done. If you haven't read it yet and you really want to keep brewing, get How to Brew by John Palmer. It's also free online here.

Latest posts

Back