Gas Useage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, has anyone ever weighed their gas bottle after each 19l corny being drunk. was wondering how much gas gets used each brew. my little bottle takes 1.1kg of gas to fill. looks like i might only get 4 kegs out of it maybe 5. any help appriecated.
cheers.

Do you force carb or carb with sugar?

That's my way of saying I've got no idea.

force carb 280kpa for 24hrs plus the usual cleaning

hi all, has anyone ever weighed their gas bottle after each 19l corny being drunk. was wondering how much gas gets used each brew. my little bottle takes 1.1kg of gas to fill. looks like i might only get 4 kegs out of it maybe 5. any help appriecated.
cheers.

co2 has a density of approx 2kg/m3 at 0 degrees and 100kpa

working back 1100g/2000g x 1000 litres = 550 litres

so i'd say 1.1kg of co2 bottle would

dispense approx 29 x 19 litre kegs

or

carbonate approx 11.5 x 19 litre kegs at 2.5 volumes

or

carbonate and dispense 8 x 19 litre kegs at 2.5 volumes

or

or

there is no way I get that out of my bottles.
I'll try to make an accurately guestimate .. but I know it will be less than 1/2, of that...

or

or

That's one of the reasons I like these forums. When the advice is good, it's priceless.
Cheers

or

or

I have a 3.6Kg cylinder and was told it would see me out 10-12 kegs, carb and dispense. After 18 kegs she is still going, got to run out soon. I check the whole system for leaks with the detergent and water in a spray bottle every time I do anything to the system (swap kegs) I think the biggest waste of gas is slow leaks that can leak out heaps in no time at all.

Drew

there is no way I get that out of my bottles.
I'll try to make an accurately guestimate .. but I know it will be less than 1/2, of that...

take away the gas used in purging your kegs, flushing lines, carbonating at higher volumes etc

i reckon its probably right in my experience, they seem to last forever

maybe the co2 fairies are stealing your gas

it's about 110g to 120g of CO2 per keg to carb and dispense a 19L keg

so i'd say 1.1kg of co2 bottle would dispense approx 10 x 19 litre kegs allowing no leakage or use for filtering etc

QldKev

it's about 110g to 120g of CO2 per keg to carb and dispense a 19L keg

so i'd say 1.1kg of co2 bottle would dispense approx 10 x 19 litre kegs allowing no leakage or use for filtering etc

QldKev

you mean carb and dispense 10 kegs, right ?

costs me alot more gas than that!
just went to the keg fridge and my gas is EMPTY
lasted me 2 50L kegs and 2 19L kegs.
i think i may have a leak :(
Will replace keg seals and get the starsan out to check leaks
PS. i have a 10KG gas bottle

costs me alot more gas than that!
just went to the keg fridge and my gas is EMPTY
lasted me 2 50L kegs and 2 19L kegs.
PS. i have a 10KG gas bottle

Holy crap mate. Yep, you definitely have a leak somewhere. 10kg bottle should last ages. I have a 5 odd kg fire extinguisher and I reckon I've carbed and dispensed about 7 kegs of beer and probably double that of soda water (much higher vols of c02) since setting up my system in Dec 2010. Bottle is still going strong, although I suspect it wont last much longer.

Check for leaks ASAP!

Check for leaks and watch for tomorrows news headlines:
Global warming: Leaking home-brew systems contribute to the build up of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Check for leaks and watch for tomorrows news headlines:
Global warming: Leaking home-brew systems contribute to the build up of CO2 in the atmosphere.
lol.....
I wonder how much CO2 beer does contribute to the atmosphere???

lol.....
I wonder how much CO2 beer does contribute to the atmosphere???

Fairly neutral effect I'm guessing. CO2 from fermenting has been directly absorbed from the atmosphere through the barley in the beer. I'm not sure how CO2 is collected to fill the bottle but I'm assuming it's either extracted from the atmosphere or taken from natural processes and not derived from fossils. Can anyone clarrify this?

As long as the CO2 is obtained from the atmosphere/biosphere it's net effect on warming is zero. The only bad CO2 will be that from the energy required to fill a bottle. However, this is probably a lot more then the gas in the bottle otherwise we would be filling co2 bottles everywhere to reduce warming.

While I disagree with the premise of this article I found it quite coincedental it popped up yesterday.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-...0418-1dlo0.html
I WAS in the laundry at the weekend, watching my home-made beer bubbling away in its brewing barrel.

I proudly told my friends and neighbours that a 740ml bottle of beer only cost me 20 to make, compared with the well-over-a-dollar price they were paying for the mass-produced stuff.

Then my wife came in and asked what it was that was bubbling out of the beer.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''It's carbon dioxide,'' I told her. ''You could get taxed on that,'' she said, loading the washing machine.

It was true, there's a new tax looming. I got out the calculator and worked out that my two brewing barrels make almost 300 kilograms of the gas annually.

While I had the calculator out, I also worked out that each person breathes out about the same amount.

With a population of about 22 million, Australians breathe out seven million tonnes of CO2 a year. Joggers and cyclists are using more calories and, of course, breathe out more CO2 than the rest of us non-fit people.

If the federal government set a price of, say, $30 a tonne, this means our population would be liable to pay $210 million a year for breathing.

We drink 1.8 billion litres of beer each year in this country. Multiplying up from my own brewing calculations, I found that 62 grams of CO2 are produced in the making of each litre of beer; this comes out at 111 million tonnes, or about $3.3 billion a year carbon tax.

With beer making, about one third of the CO2 is dissolved in the bottled beer and is released as bubbles, being consumed and, presumably, burped out of the human system. I've also found out that beer drinkers burp about 10 times a day.

Not all Australians drink beer, of course. Children have to reach drinking age and there are still a few who avoid the amber nectar for various reasons. This leaves roughly half of 22 million Aussies as beer drinkers.

With my calculator melting, I worked out the final carbon tax bills:

Breathing will cost $210 million a year for all of us that do it.

Joggers and cyclists should pay an extra 20 per cent breathing tax.

Drinking beer will cost $230 a drinker a year.

Burping will cost $100 a person a year, or roughly 30 a person a day. Each burp will cost 3.

I'm now worried that my 20-a-bottle boast might come undone if the government realises what I'm doing. I mean, if CO2 is that important and they start to tax it, then they will have to be fair about it, won't they?

But don't hold your breath.

Trevor Meacham

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-...l#ixzz1K0wT5IhH

Fairly neutral effect I'm guessing. CO2 from fermenting has been directly absorbed from the atmosphere through the barley in the beer. I'm not sure how CO2 is collected to fill the bottle but I'm assuming it's either extracted from the atmosphere or taken from natural processes and not derived from fossils. Can anyone clarrify this?

As long as the CO2 is obtained from the atmosphere/biosphere it's net effect on warming is zero. The only bad CO2 will be that from the energy required to fill a bottle. However, this is probably a lot more then the gas in the bottle otherwise we would be filling co2 bottles everywhere to reduce warming.

Most of the food grade CO2 comes from fossil-CO2 deposits...so CO2 that nature geosequestered millions of years ago!

But on the grand scale of things, bugger all.

While I disagree with the premise of this article I found it quite coincedental it popped up yesterday.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-...0418-1dlo0.html

Interesting that the Home Brewing Opinion writer owns up to making 5000L per year...wouldn't he require some sort of Planning Consent to produce those volumes in Sydney? Given most here brew under 1000L per year and our biggest brewers are around 3000L here

I also question the accuracy of his melting calculator, seems he may have a few extra zero's in at least one calculation.

While on a tour of cascade a few years ago we were told that the CO2 from the fermentation was sold to BOC. I have also heard of gas from industrial processes being captured and sold to gas suppliers as a byproduct.

Most of the world (i.e. not the USA) uses g/l to describe dissolved CO2 which makes this sort of calculation really easy.

If you want a quick comparison have a look at Brew Kiser, at the foot of the tables are typical values for various styles. But roughly g/L is double Volumes.

Number of litres X g/L gives you the mass of CO2 dissolved in the beer, then you just need to work out the mass of CO2 used to push the beer out, as the system is in equilibrium that's the same as the mass of CO2 required at your serving temperature and pressure. Takes a bit more dicking around and a bit of basic chemistry and physics but roughly if you work on 125g/ Corney you won't be too far off the money.

MHB

Latest posts

Back