Gas Ran Out Last Night

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, i force carb at 280kpa for 24 hrs cold. started gassing yesterday at 10am. looked in at it around 5pm and all is good. woke up this morning and bottle was empty.(hoped to get it gassed up) problem is i have no idea when the gas ran out. got the bottle refilled and has been back on for 5 1/2 hrs. any thoughts on how to know when to stop or other suggestions?
cheers scooza.

hi all, i force carb at 280kpa for 24 hrs cold. started gassing yesterday at 10am. looked in at it around 5pm and all is good. woke up this morning and bottle was empty.(hoped to get it gassed up) problem is i have no idea when the gas ran out. got the bottle refilled and has been back on for 5 1/2 hrs. any thoughts on how to know when to stop or other suggestions?
cheers scooza.
I would set the gas to serving pressure and sample daily until pressure is OK.

Hook it up to serving pressure and try pour a beer.

If it is flat, you have 2 choices
1. Leave it at serving pressure for a few more days, it will work itself out.
2. Hit it with some more gas, just take a rough guess and under estimate it a bit. Then leaving it at normal serving pressure and it will balance itself out.

QldKev

I would set the gas to serving pressure and sample daily until pressure is OK.

Personally I would sample every 30 minutes just to be safe :chug:

If it's flat have a search around for the "Ross Method", it's how I carb all my kegs and only takes a couple of minutes.

thanks guys it all came good. put it back on for 10hrs. a little flat but came good after a couple of days at serving pressure. bottle lives on a set of scales now until the new micromatic reg turns up.
cheers.

The reg won't really help you much - if you're thinking of using the gauge to watch the bottle pressure. The bottle pressure will remain constant (given constant temp) because as gas is drawn out, liquid CO2 will vapourise to replace it. The gauge will only start to drop when there is no more liquid CO2 left, by which time you've got fk all gas left any way.
Scales are probably a more reliable way if you know the empty cylinder weight.

Back