Gas Leak From Poppet & Reconfiguring My Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
I've recently developed leaks from two of my kegs gas poppets. I would expect that poppet seals or springs could wear out, but it seems odd that two would go around the same time, so may be I'm doing something wrong?
When I first got my kegging stuff a few years back, I was unsure if I could fit 2 or 3 kegs, so I only bought connections for 2. I simply use a gas line splitter and two JG grey gas in fittings. Thankfully I was able to fit 3 kegs but I stayed with just 2 JG gas connects, which I just change around when I think the carbonation level is dropping on one keg. The gas poppet leak is pretty obvious as when I disconnect the gas in the poppet hisses with escaping gas before I give it a push with a finger to seal it up better, however the gas still leaks (though obviously slower) when the JG gas in fitting is on. So to my questions;
1) Should the poppet be able to leak with a JG on it?
2) Is my practise of more frequently connecting/disconnecting my JG gas in fitting leading to these poppets leaking?
3) How long a life should I get from a gas poppet before it needs a new seal?
4) Any reccomendations to fix the leak other than the obvious; Purge, remove and replace?
5) I'm thinking of of finally getting a third JG Gas In fitting, which would also require another gas splitter and a non return valve or two OR I could go a gas manifold. Gas manifolds seem far more expensive - what's their 'up side'?

Cheers

Jimi

5) I'm thinking of of finally getting a third JG Gas In fitting, which would also require another gas splitter and a non return valve or two OR I could go a gas manifold. Gas manifolds seem far more expensive - what's their 'up side'?

Yet to figure that out. My manifold has taps, which I rarely ever use and you could probably put taps in line with JG fittings. If I had my time over, I'd just split it out like you're intending to do.

I'm like you in that some of my gear is aging and starting to need reconditioning.

Twice in my brewing career I have done all the gas in my tank overnight from leaks, so now I turn my bottle off and only turn it on when I need some more gas to push.

I also setup for 2 kegs but have the option to split for the third.

I use the John Guest fittings and splitters.

Witht that poppet not rising back up and sealing perhaps I would suggest that you remove that post, pullout the poppet and give it a good clean.

It's also probably a good time to get a Cornelius reaplcement kit and do all your little o-rings whilst your there.

I would consider using a little food grade grease/lubricant as well to help it slide when you disconnect.

As for the non return valve you only need 1.

Put it first and then have your gas line splits.

The ultimate reason for the NRV is to save your regulator. And at $10 a piece why install 3 when you can getaway with 1.

I'm like you in that some of my gear is aging and starting to need reconditioning.

As for the non return valve you only need 1.

Put it first and then have your gas line splits.

The ultimate reason for the NRV is to save your regulator. And at $10 a piece why install 3 when you can getaway with 1.

I have a NRV already in place, but there's a few that feel that without a NRV on each keg the hop aroma from one keg can start to slip into another. It's not something I've experienced but I figured that is because I have 2 gas disconnects which are constantly on and off. I imagine the issue might be more prominant if I had all kegs connected all the time

One thing with a gas manifold, is it allows you to turn on/off different lines.

This means you don't have to continuously disconnect/reconnect quickdisconnects when you are force carbonating one keg... just turn off the other kegs...

I would one day like to have a 2 or 3 reg regulator, but right now, I don't, so I have a manifold. I use the manifold primarily so I can use my beer gun which requires a third gas line.

Latest posts

Back