Gas In Beer Line - Serious Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicklizard

Reaction score
I have a serious problem with my keg set up. Any help HUGELY appreciated.

Just recently I am getting gas bubbles in the beer line and when poured, I end up with a glass full of froth. To demonstrate, the video shows the bizarre problem.

Other details that may help are:
I've been successfully dispensing from kegs for about 3 years (the same kegs) with no problem.
Same thing happens with new beer disconnects.
I've replaced all the seals.
There is no leaking gas evident.
It's nothing to do with temperature.
The kegs are gassed to about 35 psi for 3 days and dispensed at about 7.

And the really weird thing - if I degass the keg and leave it for a day or so, when I open the tap, froth and beer races out - even though the gas it turned off. It's almost as though the beer is degassing in the keg?!?!?!?!?

If I drink about 10 glasses in quick succession (with friends), the problem seems to reduce.

My theory is that the beer is degassing in the keg, and therefore in the dip tube, and rising up through the beer line. But how can this happen if the whole thing is under constant pressure?

I am just about at my wits end with this one 'cause it is a real bummer when mates come around and I pour them a glass full of froth. Not a good look.

Any suggesitons??
Thanks heaps.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Overcarbonated kegs by the sounds of it?

Two things, what is the temperature of the Keg? Whats the length of line? Also if possible give your lines a good clean, any dirty surface (ie dip tube) could possibly act as nucleation point for gas evolution. Hmmm otherwise you got me stumped, have you tried turning down the temp?? say serving it at 2 deg C?

NRB,

You could be right, 35 psi is what 2.3 bar, I tend to serve mine at 0.8 bar, I guess it depends on what length of line you got.

Overcarbonated kegs by the sounds of it?

No, thanks for the suggestion but it's not the answer. I've been doing exactly the same thing for three years and it's just started happening. Even if they were over carbonated, why would gas move up the beer line when all taps are closed?

Could be a corroded dip stick BenW. I've had a similar problem before.

Have you used bleach in your kegs before??? I've heard some sanitizers can cause a similar problem.

What happens is the bleach or other corrosive liquid can attack vulnerable points on your dipstick, often right at the top where it flares out and sits on your outpost. You end up with a slightly corroded dipstick with tiny hole or holes close to the top. When you open your tap beer is drawn up through the post but the vacuum also pulls some gas from your headspace through the tiny holes and into your beer line.

You'll need to pull your outpost apart, pull the dipstick out and very carefully inspect your dipstick, particularly at the top.

I dispense at about 7 psi so it's not that.

But yes, my only guess is that the dip tube is providing nucleation points - hence gas bubbles rise into the line. But am I the only person that this has ever happened to??

Hi Ben

Sounds like you have a leak in your dispensing line somewhere - gas can't escape into the line like that if everything is airtight. Since you have ruled out seals and QDs, its either your tap(s) or the beer line itself (check around the line clamps).

How many kegs are affected?
Thanks heaps to everyone. It seems to affect all my kegs (I have 12), I am almost positive it's not a gas leak. If it was, gas would eventually leak out emptying my gas bottle and the problem would continue all the time - remember it seems to get better over 10 pours.

I'm leaning toward the holes in the dip tube. I don't use bleach but I used to use sodium metabisulfite - could this do it. And if it is holes in the tube - how small are they.

I'm leaning toward the holes in the dip tube. I don't use bleach but I used to use sodium metabisulfite - could this do it. And if it is holes in the tube - how small are they.

They are tiny Ben but you should be able to plainly see if there has been any corrosion if you pull it out and inspect. That said I'd be super surprised if it has suddenly effected all 12 kegs all of a sudden :blink:

It doesn't have to be holes in the dip tube just pitting of it. Give it a good clean with sodium hydroxide, that would be a good start if it is pitting. Also if it's all the kegs it probably is your beer lines or maybe connections. Test by immersing the rig in water watch for escaping bubbles

They are tiny Ben but you should be able to plainly see if there has been any corrosion if you pull it out and inspect. That said I'd be super surprised if it has suddenly effected all 12 kegs all of a sudden :blink:

Is it the same discconect or do you have others that work OK???

I have had problem with a disconnect in the past but it was more with beer getting out through the thread at the top rather than gas getting in.

Yes, it is truly weird. I've pulled out a couple of kegs just now that aren't in use and can't see any holes but will take to work and put under the microscope. I get the same problem with brand new disconnects. .

Thanks heaps again everyone. I've got more helpful feedback in the last 30 minutes than I have with weeks of other forum postings. I'm going to purchase a couple of new dip tubes and see how it goes.

Fingers crossed
Cheers
Ben

Ben, I hope you solve it, but I'd be surprised if all 12 kegs suddenly had the same problem - my bet is on something external to the keg. Are they all poured through the same line/tap/gun? Different lines/taps?

What a frustrating problem! Hope the beers get better soon.

Ben, I hope you solve it, but I'd be surprised if all 12 kegs suddenly had the same problem - my bet is on something external to the keg. Are they all poured through the same line/tap/gun? Different lines/taps?

What a frustrating problem! Hope the beers get better soon.
Absolutely frustrating. I pour from different taps - four main ones on a fridge and 8 "field" taps (portable systems) and the problem occurs on all lines/taps. Different kegs have the same problem but to a lesser or greater degree. I agree it could be due to other things, but I'll give the new dip tubes a go and see how it goes.
B

I had the same problem.

When I moved interstate and set up again it was ok!!

I never found out what caused it.

(sorry for being no help)

So are the bubbles coming out when it's sitting there doing nothing?

If it was just the one keg, I would have put it down to a creased or worn washer under the beer out post. But all 12??? I'd be looking a the disconnect or hose to the tap/s.

EDIT: Not an AG thread, moving it to Gear and Equipment.

Are you sure your regulator is displaying the right pressure ?
If the gauge for some reason has gone screwy you could be over carbonating. Especially if it is affecting all kegs.

Doc

Back