Gas Bottle Filling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olde

Reaction score
Anyone got some tips on filling a CO2 cylinder? It appears to have some style of one way valve on it, so I could use the correct procedure for getting the CO2 past it.
Cheers.

Last time I checked they don't fill privately owned bottles.

Anyone got some tips on filling a CO2 cylinder? It appears to have some style of one way valve on it, so I could use the correct procedure for getting the CO2 past it.
Cheers.

I have a very simple answer for these sorts of questions - if you have to ask you should not be doing it :eek:

Liquid CO2 will chill your body parts to -80c very quickly and when it vaporises to a gas expands to hundreds of times the volume or a high presure if contained. If you are not frozen or exploded to death, the lack of oxygen will get you.

Very dangerous stuff that requires the correct equipment and training. Having said that I have done it but there is no way that I will be sharing the information. If you understand the science then it is straightforward enough, but if you do undertand the science then you would not have to ask.

Simple really.

Bigfridge, thanks for the advice, but I'm not trying to fill it myself, the fully licenced refiller I took the bottle to couldn't get the gas past the valve, so I'm trying to find how it's done so I can inform the refiller.
mxd, thanks for the link.

Try a fire extinguisher refilling place ........

BOC cylinders have a valve so they can only be filled by BOC

I have a Private VT 10 kg size co2 bottle that BOC at Rocklea used to refill for me but they will no longer do so I now have it refilled at the wacol home brew store, the guy their removes the limiting valve in the threaded part where the regulator connects to with an allen key and chills the cylinder in the fridge before they refill it. Their setup only allows for about 8 kg of co2 to be put in it, I guess they don't have a co2 pump to get it all in.

wouldnt any place that refills oxy sets be able to do it as well dont oxy torches use co2 and gas????

that would be o2 and acetylene.

Hi, Iuse a fire extinguisher and they have removed the dip tube so that Liquid CO2 doesn't get drawn up into the reg, When I need refilling I take it to Quell or similar here in Victoria and they are more than happy to refill it at a bargain price,not sure what your fella is doin but they should know how to fill them,after all that's their job..Just make sure that the cylinder is in date or they wont fill it...Works for me!Attached is a pic of my cylinder..

HPIM0751.JPG

supagas refill privately owned bottles. Its takes a few days though as not all branches do onsite filling

Most industrial areas will have a fire extinguisher servicing place - infact your workplace will undoubtedly have fire extinguishers which should be tested every 6 months and the guys who do this testing usually can refill a CO2 bottle as they have to refill C)2 fire extinguishers.

If your guy who's refilling bottles doesnt know how to get past a one way valve I'd be questioning his competence

Hi, Iuse a fire extinguisher and they have removed the dip tube so that Liquid CO2 doesn't get drawn up into the reg, When I need refilling I take it to Quell or similar here in Victoria and they are more than happy to refill it at a bargain price,not sure what your fella is doin but they should know how to fill them,after all that's their job..Just make sure that the cylinder is in date or they wont fill it...Works for me!Attached is a pic of my cylinder..

Rocket58
What can you tell me about the fittings you are using
I have an extinguisher I have scabbed from an inlaw but need to find the bits to finish it off

thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back