Galaxy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you rate Galaxy hops?

• 5 - Love this hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Tasty stuff

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3 - Alright for a change

• 2 - Time for a change

• 1 - Dumped the batch

• 0 - Haven't tried this one, yet

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Galaxy hop pellets. AUS - Crop '08 (AA 15.0%)
The Australian hop selection Galaxy is a high alpha dual purpose triploid cultivar with a
marked and unique hop aroma. Bred by Hop Products Australia at their Rostrevor Breeding Garden Victoria. Galaxy, when add late in the boil, has been found to impart a unique and pleasant flavour to beer. The striking flavour has been described as a combination of citrus and passionfruit, whilst still contributing significant bittering.
Origin
Galaxy was bred by Hop Products Australia at their Rostrevor Breeding Garden in Victoria
in 1994. It was bred by crossing a female tetraploid (J78) with a male derived from Perle.
Galaxy is 2/3 J78 and 1/6 a male derived from the Germany cultivar Perle.
Analytical Data
Yield (Kg/Ha) 2500 - 3800
Alpha acids (%) 13.0 - 13.5
Beta acids (%) 5.8 - 6.0
Alpha/Beta Ratio 2.3
Cohumulone (%) 35.0
Total Oils (ml/100g) 2.7
Myrcene (% of whole oil) 42.4
Humulene (% of whole oil) 1.5
Beta Caryophyllene (% of whole oil) 12.1
Farnesene (% of whole oil) 2.8

MOD: Post edited and split by Lord Raja Goomba I. Originally this topic had Galaxy and Summer. The posts have been split to their appropriate topics as far as possible, though some in the Summer section do discuss Galaxy, there has been more said on Galaxy on AHB, so anything referencing Summer in a reasonable manner has been moved to the Summer topic.

Im keen to know what everyone thinks about Galaxy, I have 180 grams of them that im just dying to use B)

Im thinking a Galaxy Pilsner or something, wouldnt mind seeing some tried and true recipes?

what about millenium stu?

i absolutley love galaxy and millenium - both have to be used sparingingly tho i have found as they are quiet strong.

All millenium plae ale is nice.

Millenium and Galaxy Pale is also sensational.

Ah, forgot that one. Next time. :(

What kind of flavours did you get from them then, Fents?

galaxy = wine and grapes to me but i've been told im weird before.

millenium = i cant really describe it, it dosnt have a distinct flavour for me. its sort of like neatrual hop i reackon i cant really describe it the beer was just damn good.

both beers i made were 100% ale malt and 100% galaxy or mill just so i could get a taste for the hops and both turned out sensational..

galaxy = wine and grapes to me but i've been told im weird before.

are you saying there similar to Nelson Sauvin?

Ive just brewed two Summer Ales (same grain bill) one with Nelson Sauvin which has just being bottled, and the other with galaxy which is getting bottled tonight.

I'm interested in seeing the difference. Im yet to try either hop. Smells good though :lol:

to me, yep they do tatse like NS.

Galaxy is awesome, nice rich passionfruit falvour and a soft peppery aroma (proably the wineyness you're talkig about fents!)

Going to be doing a hop-blend IPA with Galaxy Simcoe and Amarillo soon. Should be a cracker! 150g of hops.... niiiiice!

galaxy = yum nice pasionfruit flavor

Been using Galaxy in my IPAs and Pale Ales lately and it's tops. Planning on doing an IPA with Vienna as base malt and all Galaxy hopped soon. I get a lot of passionfruit and floral notes from it. Pretty pungent in large doses. Which is fine by me. 180g...

I think galaxy is great stuff, only used one 90g pack. I made one APA with a bit too much crystal and one VB drinker told me it was "like bloody soft drink" - be warned if you consider something on the sweet side. I also made THE WORST beer under the sun when I mixed Galaxy with a little Carafa I in a lager, was after a choc-passionfruit thing... positively disgusting.

I think that it works really well with cascade in a lighter/drier style brew, a great aroma comes though.

Thinking of doing a Anzac Ale APA thing with NZ Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, and Galaxy, anyone got any thoughts to amounts etc? Prolly looking at a 20 litre batch with something like 4kg Golden Promise, and 300g of various crystals...

??? Ideas please :rolleyes:

Perhaps this should be split to a different thread but I'd perhaps use one or the other, Galaxy or NS.

made a couple of good pale ales with galaxy but my fav brew with galaxy would be an ipa i made id describe it as cascade on steroids it pretty good for a single hop beer in ipas as it got some nice spice when used for 60 min & some great fruity flavors when used @ 20 min & balances well with some crystal or caramunich

Galaxy is a bit NS but with some extra citrus, blends well with NS which seems to be a bit more grapey than Galaxy, my new fave for APA's

Tried Galaxy flowers (alongside Pacfic Jade) in an IPA recently. Dried hop with good 3g/L of the stuff, and man does it smell awesome. BIG passionfruit is apparent, typical grapefruit and grassiness too, as mentioned above very 'wine-like' I guess...well at least Sav Blanc or Verdehlo anyway.

As for Summer Saaz, have 90g of pellets in the freezer begging to be used...pilsner!?

Galaxy rocks :super:

If we can continue to have Australian breeders produce hops like this we are then very lucky.

I liken it to Simcoe. If you like Simcoe it is one to get your hands on.

This is the hopburst Galaxy pale ale I made which was a treat.

Cheers.

08-28 Galaxy Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.07
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 34.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.7 6.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
22.2 2.00 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
11.1 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
40.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 22.8 20 min.
30.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 10.2 10 min.
20.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 1.6 2 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1318 London Ale III

Did this one to road test Galaxy (guess you could call it a cream/blonde ale). Used recultured Cooper's yeast to keep the theme local.

Turned out a lovely drop. Won't be the last time I use Galaxy. A worthy competitor to the American "C" hops to my tastes. :)

Out of this Galaxy

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.50
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.37
Anticipated EBC: 7.0
Anticipated IBU: 27.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
10.5 1.00 kg. Flaked Rice 1.040 0
47.4 4.50 kg. Barrett Burston Ale Malt Australia 1.038 4
42.1 4.00 kg. BB Pale Malt Australia 1.037 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
15.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 16.4 60 min.
10.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 0.0 0 min.
20.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 5.8 15 min.
10.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 5.6 30 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Coopers Australian Ale

Warren -

(Edit Agree with Duff. I'd liken it most to Simcoe)

Amazing hey?
And not a bittering hop either

Batz

Good point :icon_cheers:

I just thought I'd give it a go on it's own. Thought it might give me a good understanding of it's profile. I guess I should hold back my thoughts (or read the instructions on the hop bag).

Latest posts

Back