Galaxy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you rate Galaxy hops?

• 5 - Love this hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Tasty stuff

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3 - Alright for a change

• 2 - Time for a change

• 1 - Dumped the batch

• 0 - Haven't tried this one, yet

• Total voters
Reading about Galaxy on the board in general has got me somewhat interested. Can anyone point me in the direction of a commercial example where this hop is fairly prominent?

The Wig n Pens Rumpole ale uses galaxy straight through to 22 IBUs and its beautiful. Its on my to do list. 90% Ale 10% Caramunch II, SO5 yeast.
Cheers
Steve

Reading about Galaxy on the board in general has got me somewhat interested. Can anyone point me in the direction of a commercial example where this hop is fairly prominent?

I don't off hand but if I could get it it may be the first commercial beer in 12 months I will buy. I love galaxy. I'm addicted and might just start up a forum for galaxy addicts.

I'm quivering at the though of using NZ hop Sauvignon or what ever it is with Galaxy. Amarillo is nice with Galaxy but the citrus, fruity and tropical flavour and aroma is my demise in a APA.

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Cascade Green I think?

Stone and Wood Draught I believe.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I used 100% Galaxy in a Bitter Ale and it came out great. Would use again for sure.

#91 Newcastle Bitter
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/04/2009
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4500.00 gm Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 82.57 %
400.00 gm Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 7.34 %
300.00 gm Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (94.6 EBC) Grain 5.50 %
200.00 gm Crystal Malt - Dark (Thomas Fawcett) (165.5 EBC) Grain 3.67 %
50.00 gm Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.15 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.30 %
Bitterness: 34.9 IBU Calories: 420 cal/l
Est Color: 28.6 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 5450.00 gm
Sparge Water: 12.32 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 72.4 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 93.1 C 76.0 C

The Cascade Green was the only of the above suggestions I could get my hands on today. I gotta say I'm not really getting much of the flavour or aroma described for this hop. It was an ok beer but really not all that far removed from the cleaner megas.

Still looking for other possible options.

PM me bum. My galaxy beer stocks are low but I have a lager with galaxy in the fermenter. I'll send you one or two to sample when it's ready in 3 weeks or so if you like.

PMed. Thanks for the kind offer!

Just mashing a brew now, close grain bill to the good Doctors but beefed up ever so slightly and will use only galaxy as the hop.
planning on using the below hop schedule and i am no chilling. Thoughts? I am hoping to get good amount of galaxy flavour and aroma without smashing anyones lips and tongue off.

10grams at 50 min
15grams at 10min
15grams dry hopped 3 or 4 days in.

Hoping for prominent hop flavour and aroma and and IBU of low 30's or 30ish. Am i on target?

just brewed an pale ale, my first time using galaxy but went for a combo instead of single hop will see how it goes with styrian goldings and cascade

15litre's

1.5kg DME
500g Light Crystal 60L

10g Galaxy@60
10g Galaxy @15
10g Styrian@15
10g Cascade@15

US-05

(ps. is this a pale ale or an IPA i never know i just started using my 15litre fermentor)

Whats Galaxy like for dry hopping?

sensational KT. i've just done an ESB with all galaxy and am going to dry hop it today with more galaxy. passionfriut aroma hell yes! :super:

sensational KT. i've just done an ESB with all galaxy and am going to dry hop it today with more galaxy. passionfriut aroma hell yes! :super:

Cheers Fents....
Challenger and Galaxy... I think marmalade and passionfruit would be nice!

Digging up a bit of an older thread, but after trying Stone and Wood recently I'd like to have a go at brewing something similar. Anyone had a go at a similar (hate the word clone) beer ?

It seems to be very low in bitterness, with a lot of galaxy towards the end of the boil + dry hopped. I'm thinking bittering rough 15-20 IBU's, 15g@10min, 10g@0min, 10g dry hopped for a 20L batch. Malt I'm thinking BB ale and 5% wheat would be reasonable, but I haven't had enough "samples" to work it out fully yet :)

Any thoughts on yeast? Would US05 @ 17c be close?

Digging up a bit of an older thread, but after trying Stone and Wood recently I'd like to have a go at brewing something similar. Anyone had a go at a similar (hate the word clone) beer ?

It seems to be very low in bitterness, with a lot of galaxy towards the end of the boil + dry hopped. I'm thinking bittering rough 15-20 IBU's, 15g@10min, 10g@0min, 10g dry hopped for a 20L batch. Malt I'm thinking BB ale and 5% wheat would be reasonable, but I haven't had enough "samples" to work it out fully yet :)

Any thoughts on yeast? Would US05 @ 17c be close?

Im quite fond of this drop myself - Ive only ever had a couple, I wish the local would keep it as a regular beer.

This is their speil on it:

A grist bin filled with a blend of pale malted barley and both malted and unmalted wheat is let rip to mix with the crystal clear water from the hinterland. After being mashed and then sparged the wort is drained from the grain and then kettle hopped with Australian Galaxy hops.

After cooling the wort we pitch in a traditional ale yeast and ferment before dry hopping and locking the tank up for cold conditioning. The beer is then racked straight from the storage tank into kegs and delivered direct to the coldrooms of the local watering holes, to be served fresh from the tap.

http://stoneandwood.com.au/blog/draught-ale/

If anything, I'd probably up the dry hop to 20g.

Im quite fond of this drop myself - Ive only ever had a couple, I wish the local would keep it as a regular beer.

This is their speil on it:

http://stoneandwood.com.au/blog/draught-ale/

If anything, I'd probably up the dry hop to 20g.
I should have checked the website, the unmalted wheat would explain the cloudy look! Might dry hop a bit more, increase the wheat and also get some unmalted wheat (good excuse to brew a wit then as well!).

I'm looking at brewing it for a party where there will be standard lager drinkers, so something like the Stone and Wood should be a good intro to better beer without hitting them with an IPA or similar right away :)

I would up the flameout to at least 25gms (if not more), and you many need to up the dry hop amount (you can keep adding if it's not right!). Another beer where a 20min addition is the earliest you can get in with these high AA hops.
Also, another beer you should not no chill, unless you want a very bitter beer.
I thought Stone and Wood (which I drink on tap here) has a medium and a bit mouthfeel, not thin or dry, so US-o5 would be fine, but at 18-19, not 17. I also wonder if they finish it earlier, say 1.012 rather than 1.010 or less.
I get loads of grapefruit from the draught version.

Latest posts

Back