Galaxy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you rate Galaxy hops?

• 5 - Love this hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Tasty stuff

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3 - Alright for a change

• 2 - Time for a change

• 1 - Dumped the batch

• 0 - Haven't tried this one, yet

• Total voters
I finally got around to using these in an APA, it's still in the fermenter settling down I'm kinda regretting dry hopping 30gms in a 50lt batch. It was tasting pretty good before I added them but the latest QC sample tasted very grassy. <_<

I've got a Galaxy APA on tap ATM, surprisingly SWMBO loves it (doen't seem to like anything else I brew) - I might have to start locking the taps when at work. :unsure:
Good stuff IMO, now a house beer.

I made a bit of a mongrel useing Dr. Smurto's GA grain bill, all Galaxy hops (50g) and S-189 lager yeast. The resultant beer looks like th Dr.SGA, bit I didnt get any of the pineapple or fruity tastes others are getting. A drinkable beer, but no standout. Maybe I did something wrong. I still have 50g left, so I may give it a second chance in something a bit lighter like a pilsner.

I made a bit of a mongrel useing Dr. Smurto's GA grain bill, all Galaxy hops (50g) and S-189 lager yeast. The resultant beer looks like th Dr.SGA, bit I didnt get any of the pineapple or fruity tastes others are getting. A drinkable beer, but no standout. Maybe I did something wrong. I still have 50g left, so I may give it a second chance in something a bit lighter like a pilsner.

What was your recipe mate? Dont expect the same tastes as everyone else, the pineapple comes from the Amarillo hops, galaxy gives more of an earthy passionfruit./

As I said, it was Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale, with Galaxy instead of Amarillo, and a lager yeast instead of an ale yeast.
[post="0"]linky[/post]

Hey guys, im fairly new to the brewing process and just had a few questions. While on holiday we came across a new brew called Stone and Wood made in a mini brewery up there, fantastic stuff. Anyway we found the brewery and asked for a tour, it was here we were introduced to galaxy hops from Tassie, the taste and armoma these hops gave was amazing.
We found a site to order these hops so we could start experimenting with them but being new to the brewing process i wanted to ask if anyone else had come across these hops, used them and if there is a special way to use them or prepare them in the brewing process. Basically any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Use it with caution, late additions of galaxy will give you a huge passionfruit flavour, go easy with it. 20G at 0-5 min is more than enough.

cheers

BRowndog

Fantastic hop and there is a fair bit of excitment about them on the forum. A quick search will bring up a dozen threads about galaxy, heres one of the main threads.

Use it with caution, late additions of galaxy will give you a huge passionfruit flavour, go easy with it. 20G at 0-5 min is more than enough.

cheers

BRowndog

+1, quite dangerous actually. Did an aussie pale with all galaxy, bitterness was fine, the flavour component was ovedone and took around 2 months to mellow. Dont get me wrong, it tasted great, was just not what i expected post recipe formulation. Very very passionfruity. i'd say give it a bittering addition of your choice and a flameout portion only. probably 1g/L max. THe bbittering is quite smooth and will probably be my use for Galaxy in the future.

Cheers!

Used galaxy for bittering at a 45 min addition. Smooth bittering hop. 15AA to boot. Yet to try it for flavor. I am wanting to try it with Amarillo. Good economical bittering hop.

Cheers
Gavo.

Have what I'd term a 'house ale' that uses all galaxy .. .love it. Thanks to a bulk buy for the WCB. Hop additions as follows; 30@60, 20@15, 20@5 and 20 dry (41L batch) for 46IBU.

Ok, I just made a pale ale using Czech Saaz and Galaxy hops (my first time) in the following recipe. I have made a lot of pale ales over the last 6 years and I think this is my best one yet! Gorgeous passionfruit and citrus aromas with a lovely peppery flavour that is perfectly balanced in bitterness and malt sweetness. I am now officially in love with Galaxy :wub:

Snow's Galaxy Pale Ale

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.47 %
1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 18.87 %
0.30 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
35.00 gm Saaz [3.40 %] (60 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (20 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [3.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
25.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Craftbrewer)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.30 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.90 L of water at 69.8 C 64.0 C

Cheers - Snow

I was going to start a recipe check thread on this but here seem's as good a place as any...
Even before the current debate on unique Australian style I'd been toying with an American Brown style beer, but using Australian/NZ hops, in particular Galaxy and something else as a hop. I happen to have some Summer Saaz left so I've come up with the following.

I'm happy enough with the grain bill I think (suggestions always welcome) but not having used either hop I'm looking for ideas on the schedule, particularly in the light of Galaxy seeming easy to over-use.
I like my Americans Browns homebrew style, with a good strong hop flavour around the malt, rather than the more malt balanced commercial styles, so that's what I am after in this beer.

Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 38.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3800.00 gm Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EGrain 66.90 %
1200.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 21.13 %
280.00 gm Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (145.0 EBC) Grain 4.93 %
200.00 gm Brown Malt (145.0 EBC) Grain 3.52 %
150.00 gm Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 2.64 %
50.00 gm Pale Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (689.Grain 0.88 %
5.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (20 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
30.00 gm Summer Saaz [4.70 %] (15 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
20.00 gm Summer Saaz [4.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-0Yeast-Ale

I was going to start a recipe check thread on this but here seem's as good a place as any...
Even before the current debate on unique Australian style I'd been toying with an American Brown style beer, but using Australian/NZ hops, in particular Galaxy and something else as a hop. I happen to have some Summer Saaz left so I've come up with the following.

I'm happy enough with the grain bill I think (suggestions always welcome) but not having used either hop I'm looking for ideas on the schedule, particularly in the light of Galaxy seeming easy to over-use.
I like my Americans Browns homebrew style, with a good strong hop flavour around the malt, rather than the more malt balanced commercial styles, so that's what I am after in this beer.

Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 38.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3800.00 gm Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EGrain 66.90 %
1200.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 21.13 %
280.00 gm Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (145.0 EBC) Grain 4.93 %
200.00 gm Brown Malt (145.0 EBC) Grain 3.52 %
150.00 gm Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 2.64 %
50.00 gm Pale Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (689.Grain 0.88 %
5.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (20 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
30.00 gm Summer Saaz [4.70 %] (15 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
20.00 gm Summer Saaz [4.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-0Yeast-Ale

Ok, change of plan, I'm going to shelve this one I think, and go an Aussie IPA instead I think, cause I'm planning a hazelnut brown and don't have the grains for two brown ales...
Plus I'd like something for the Babbs Strong Ale night. It will be fairly fresh at this rate, but they'll cope :)

Any comments still welcome, as I'll still have some Galaxy left, and I have a pack of NZ Cascade which could go with it too...

Back