Galaxy Amber Ale - Need help with hop schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys I've tried to convert my large batch recipe for a Galaxy amber Ale into a small 10L recipe and this is what I have so far, Just wondering what people think and what people think of the hop schedule in particular. Ians ss says I'll be hitting around 33 IBU's which I'm hoping isnt too high. Im really not a bitterness lover and am hoping the malt will balance out the IBU. I know this is a tiny IBU for most people but I dont typically drink really bitter beers.

Volume: 10L
500g Wheat DME
700g LDME
200g Crystal 60L
100g CaraAroma
10g Centennial @ 40 or 60 minutes????
5g Galaxy @ 15 mins
10g Galaxy @ 10 mins

OG: 1050
FG: 1013
IBU: 33-36 (depending on the bittering time)

Centennial at 60mins to 15ibu then just galaxy at 10mins to 20ibu, dryhop it with 14g of galaxy for 5days after ferment has finished.

Pratty1 said:
Centennial at 60mins to 15ibu then just galaxy at 10mins to 20ibu, dryhop it with 14g of galaxy for 5days after ferment has finished.
Thanks for this, doing it by IBU gives a different perspective on hop additions and I like that. Is there no concern over getting more or my IBU's from the galaxy considering its bitterness is considered quite harsh? I tried to get the least amount of BU's out of the galaxy to really focus on just flavour and aroma from the galaxy, I guess when its AA% is as high as it is theres not much I can do?

Latest posts

Back