Gah. Another empty keg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Just finished my second keg. I'm planning a brew day tomorrow to make a saison as my fermenting fridge is currently fermenting another beer. I need to figure out a two temperature controlled fermenting system. I'm mainly making a saison because I can stick it in the spare room and let it do its thing. Ideally I'd be able to ferment two ales at a time. I guess I need to look at buying two smaller fridges or something along those lines. Unless there's any other options?

Mine fits 3 if needed, for ales I just read temp off the one closest to the cooling plate and set the temperature a degree low, fan keeps things fairly consistent. If ferments are staggered I stick it to the new one and don't start second until at least 3 days in to the first. If you line it up reasonably you can cc when newest beer is ready or otherwise I keg warm and let it settle in keg. No chill is helpful for lining up fermentation schedule.

I can fit 2 x 30L fermenters in my fridge. First I chiseled the ridges out that hold the shelves that I'm not using. One fermenter sits on the compressor hump and is propped up by an appropriate sized Tupperware container. The other fermenter sits snuggly on the floor of the fridge.

I don't know what fridge you have but you can get creative and flatten over the crisper like the below picture and you can get two side by side there. I've never tried but Probably another two up top.

If you don't have a big single door fridge like this just get one via gumtree. The first 10 or 20 listings by price in any state will be free if you're willing to pick up.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454057201.693073.jpg

Yep, I have a 380L upright freezer which is supposed to be for ales. Also a 180?L upright freezer for lagers. But having both means I can switch around fermenters for ramping and cold crashes.

The 380l can fit multiple fermenters. I just put the probe on the latest brew as I figure early in fermentation temp control is most critical. And as above try to keep a gap of about a week between starting brews in the same fridge.

I'm in the same boat, only having room in my fermenting fridge for one fermenter. No room for another fridge, and this fridge is staying put. It's lasted 60 odd years so far and still going strong. Never even needed repairs. It will only be replaced when it finally kicks the bucket (it might even outlast me :lol:).

My plan now is to simply get 3 kegs in the kegerator, then keep brewing and not put any more in there until all 3 are empty (hopefully I'll have 3 full ones ready by that stage). It'll take a while but it does give me a good excuse to brew more often. :p

If its just a temporary fix you need, I recently brewed a saison and put together a temp unit by having the fermentor in a 60 lt esky filled with water. the water in the esky recirculated through my herms unit with the stc prob on the side of the fermentor to keep the wort at 30 degrees. I guess you could rig something similar recirculating chilled water from inside a fridge should you need cooling. Those are temporary options really, long term = more fridge space, fermentation chamber or large chest freezer..

Latest posts

Back